UMass basketball outlasts Florida State 75-69 -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Minutemen ride strong bench play to 75-69 win over Florida state -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Minutewomen top Dartmouth in overtime thriller

Collegian Staff, Jeff Bernstein

It took two overtimes, but the Massachusetts field hockey team won a Tuesday afternoon thriller, beating Dartmouth, 5-4, in Hanover, N.H. in its final non-conference game.

Katie Kelly scored two minutes and 57 seconds into double-overtime for the Minutewomen (7-6, 1-0 Atlantic 10), after sophomore Sarah Schlosstein’s shot was kicked away by the Big Green goalie. It was Kelly’s second goal of the game as well as her second game-winning overtime goal of the season.

The game-winning goal ended a high intensity, back-and-forth contest between the two teams. Prior to that, the Big Green (8-4, 2-1 Ivy League) erased a 3-1 deficit and seemed to match every UMass goal.

“Today was a great win,” UMass coach Justine Sowry said. “I think any time that you have such a difficult battle and a game that goes into overtime, a game that went back and forth, the energy and work ethic gets put out onto the field.”

With the score tied at three with under seven minutes remaining, Makaela Potts received the ball off of a penalty corner and hit a sharp grounder into the net to give UMass a 4-3 lead. The lead quickly vanished when Dartmouth came right back into UMass’ circle before Samantha McPherson evened the score again.

“It was a very attacking game of hockey,” Sowry said. “We put Potts in the midfield and asked her to play more attack. She’s got the athleticism, skill and speed to really put the opposition under a lot of pressure. The pace of the game was definitely fast. It was end to end. There wasn’t a lot of build up. It was definitely get from one end to the other as fast as possible.”

The result was the Minutewomen’s second overtime this season. Sowry and her players have consistently taken lessons from 2009 and learned when the same situation arose this year. Consequently, they switched their mindset at the start of Tuesday’s overtime.

“Last year in our overtime games we played very pensive, quite nice hockey but we weren’t getting the results that we needed, so our attitude this year is to go for it and attack,” Sowry said.

UMass improved to a 2-0 record in overtime games this year. Their first win came at Yale on Sept. 12, when it erased a two-goal deficit to win 3-2. Kelly’s breakaway goal in overtime completed the comeback and her two-goal effort pushed her season total to a team-leading 10 goals.

“[Kelly’s] effort on a day-to-day basis is nothing short of 100 percent so I expect that everyday at practice and throughout the course of the game,” Sowry said. “When it comes down to overtime, [Kelly’s] been a great leader. She’s an incredible competitor and she doesn’t like to lose. Whatever gas is left in the gas tank, she finds a way. Fortunately, she’s been on the receiving end of scoring some pretty crucial game winners.”

Molly MacDonnell scored the UMass goal in the 25th minute off of an assist from Kelly. It evened the score at one before the Minutewomen scored two straight. Kim Young scored her second goal of the year as UMass built a 3-1 advantage at halftime.

Sowry was most impressed with her team’s ability to score. The Minutewomen’s five-score effort was the most goals they’ve put up in a game this year. They now have nine scores in their last two games.

“The most important thing is to be able to score more goals,” Sowry said. “We haven’t done that all year, and as we move forward into a very important weekend, putting that many goals into the back of the net is really pleasing. Any hard-fought wins, in particular in overtime, it really does a lot for your confidence.”

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.