UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Minutewomen to face ailing Rams on Sunday

Geoff King/Collegian

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team will return to action on the road as it travels to play against Atlantic 10 conference opponent Rhode Island on Sunday.

Both UMass (5-8-0, 2-2-0 in A-10) and URI (1-11-1, 1-3-0 in A-10) are coming off losses via the shutout. The Rams closed out their non-conference schedule on Wednesday afternoon with a 3-0 loss to Brown.

The game was a tale of two halves as the Rams shut the Bears out in the first half but allowed three in the second stanza. Brown outshot URI 14-3, with the Rams putting just one shot on goal the entire game.

The Minutewomen split their previous weekend series, with a 3-0 win against Xavier on Friday but most recently lost to 5-0 to Dayton on Sunday. The A-10 conference-leading Flyers picked up their ninth-straight win to move to 12-2-0 and 4-0 in A-10 play.

UMass fell to a strong DU offensive effort, getting outshot 24-8. Freshman Emersyn Pullan played the first half and recorded four saves while allowing three goals. Sophomore Emily Cota came in the second half to turn away two while allowing the same amount of goals.

Sydney Stoll was the difference-maker against Xavier, which was her third game back. She scored two goals on just two shots. Stoll helped UMass to its second two-game winning streak since Sept. 12th when they defeated non-conference opponents New Hampshire and Fairfield. Smith added a goal to her season tally of five. Meghan Collins distributed the ball well with two assists and Pullan recorded her third shut out of her collegiate career.

Ed Matz’ offensive tactics have proven successful as the Maroon and White have already scored 21 goals surpassing their 2009 total of fifteen goals in 19 games. The current total is the most by a UMass team since 2007 when it scored 28 goals in 17 games under coach Jim Rudy. 

URI’s sole victory came against Saint Louis whom the Minutewomen defeated on Oct. 3rd. The Rams also picked up a 1-1 tie against UNH in their season opener. Both teams have suffered losses to Charlotte and Dayton, but the Minutewomen shutout the Musketeers whom URI lost 3-0 to in its most recent conference match. URI is currently on a four-game losing streak.

“URI is a very physical team and we are going to have to concentrate on putting pressure on them the whole game,” Matz said.

The Minutewomen fared well against the Rams in 2009 with a 3-2 win on Oct. 17th. Therese Smith scored the winning goal in that match in the 86th minute. Ashley Hamel had an assist while Cota recorded eight saves between the pipes. UMass leads the all-time series 15-7.

The Rams currently sit towards the bottom of the A-10 standings with three points. UMass is tied for fourth with Xavier and Duquesne with six points. After the blowout loss to the Flyers the Minutewomen close out the season against Rhode Island, Temple, Saint Joseph’s, Fordham and LaSalle; all of whom currently rank below UMass in the A-10 standings.

UMass is 2-5-0 overall on the road this season. The conference matchup will begin at 1 p.m. at the URI Soccer Complex.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.