UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

Zono’s comeback fuels second half surge

Michael Wood/Collegian

Senior midfielder Makaela Potts said it herself. The Massachusetts field hockey team is a second half team.

Frustrated, yet never panicking in either deficit they faced this weekend, the Minutewomen (9-6, 3-0 Atlantic 10) grabbed two victories away from conference opponents Lock Haven and Richmond.

Coincidentally, junior defender Thando Zono returned to action on Friday after missing five games in the span of just under a month. She suffered a head injury on Sept. 19 at Maryland.

Her presence was immediately felt as she scored both goals against Richmond in the latest comeback victory for UMass on Sunday in overtime. After falling behind the Spiders, 1-0, early in the second half, Zono responded with her first career goal just three and a half minutes later. The game remained in a 1-1 tie for the rest of the half.

With 9:36 elapsed in the extra period, Potts set Zono up for a shot on the left side of the circle, which she struck for a 2-1 win. It completed the fourth comeback win of the season for the Minutewomen, and second in as many games.

In a battle for first place in the A-10 standings, UMass hosted Lock Haven, the newest member of the conference, on Friday. Having never played the Bald Eagles, the Minutewomen came out trying to get a feel for their opponent.

Lock Haven took advantage and scored the game’s first goal five minutes before halftime off of a penalty corner. The play left Potts frustrated as she slammed her stick to the ground in disgust. Senior Jaime Bourazeris and freshman Hannah Prince walked together back to midfield, both clearly flustered by the lack of defensive execution.

“I was just really upset with the play,” Potts said. “We practice defensive corners all the time, and I think we weren’t strong enough and didn’t have the structure that we needed.”

However, halftime came. An animated UMass coach, Justine Sowry, told her players that they’ve played teams like Lock Haven before and that they knew how to play against them. All the Minutewomen needed to do was to remain focused and play their game.

“The first half was a little chaotic for us,” Sowry said. “Even though we knew what to expect, I think we definitely started to get frustrated at each other. Immediately when we went back out after halftime, we started to play how we should play: support the play [from behind], [create] 2-vs-1’s, get into the circle, and having more purpose once we got in there.”

UMass had seven-straight penalty corners in the second half, dominating play on Lock Haven’s side of the field. Sophomore Nicole Cordero had her second goal of the season in the 42nd minute and Potts followed with her fifth score 11 minutes later. When the clock ran out, UMass had 2-1 victory and sole possession of first place in the A-10 standings.

Zono’s first game action came with 18 minutes remaining in the Lock Haven game as the Minutewomen were setting up an offensive penalty corner. One of her biggest contributions will be at penalty corners, as UMass will try to take advantage of the South African’s 5 feet 7 inch build. Both of Zono’s goals on Sunday came off of penalty corners.

Sowry knew before this season that Zono’s unique skills would bring something to the team that it hasn’t had in quite some time. The Minutewomen might just be starting to see it pay dividends.

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Zono’s comeback fuels second half surge”
  1. Gino Levo says:

I definitely wanted to jot down a simple comment to be able to appreciate you for those nice secrets you are writing at this site. My considerable internet search has finally been honored with incredibly good content to share with my partners. I would say that many of us visitors actually are quite lucky to exist in a really good network with so many brilliant people with useful tricks. I feel truly happy to have discovered your entire web page and look forward to tons of more exciting times reading here. Thanks a lot again for a lot of things.