Temple splits weekend

The Temple field hockey team rebounded from a loss earlier in the week to blank West Chester, 3-0.

The Owls suffered their first Atlantic 10 loss of the season when they traveled to face La Salle last Friday.

Temple controlled play throughout the majority of the game, outshooting the Explorers, 18-7, but could not find a way to capitalize on those opportunities. La Salle made the best of its chances and won the match, 2-1.

Two days later, the Owls regrouped and blanked West Chester 3-0.

Once again, the Owls came out shooting early in the game, but this time they recorded two first half goals to show for their efforts.

Bridget Settles scored her second goal of the week, and Caryn Lambert provided the second goal of the half. Lambert picked up where she left off in the second half, notching her second goal of the afternoon.

Temple (7-9, 2-1 A-10) will do battle this week with Massachusetts. This game will likely determine positioning for the upcoming A-10 tournament.

SLU woes continue
Saint Louis dropped a 4-0 contest last week versus Richmond to drop the team’s record to 0-15.

The Billikens currently sit in last place in the A-10 standings and are the only team without a victory in the conference.

Many of the team’s problems revolve around its inability to score. The team has scored six goals in 15 games thus far.

A lack of senior leadership can also be attributed for the team’s struggles. With 15 freshman and sophomores and four seniors, the Billikens are one of the younger teams in the conference.

SLU’s struggles date back to last season when they finished with a 1-16 record and failed to win a conference game. The Billikens have lost their last 29 games, and their last A-10 victory was Oct. 21, 2009.

The Billikens (0-15, 0-2 A-10) will search for their first win on the road this week when they travel to face Lock Haven, Saint Joseph’s and Temple.

St. Joe’s triumphant

A dominant win over West Chester and a 3-2 win against La Salle capped a strong week for the Saint Joseph’s field hockey team.

On Sunday, three different Hawks scored, helping the team come out victorious on Senior Day.

La Salle stunned St. Joe’s right off the bat with a goal in the first minute of play, but less than five minutes later the Hawks equalized with a goal from junior Theresa Testa.

Later in the half, junior Therese Doyle netted the game-winner to give the Hawks a 2-1 lead going into halftime.

Nicole McCreight added an important insurance goal at the start of the second half. McCreight broke away from the Explorer defense and made a move around goalkeeper Anna Ruth for her 11th goal of the season. McCreight also had an assist in her final regular season home game.

The Explorers countered with a goal of their own but goalkeeper Kelly Swanick and the rest of the Hawk defense stepped up and stopped La Salle’s late push to ensure the victory.

Earlier in the week, the Hawks were backed by another three-goal game to defeat West Chester.

McCreight, Ellen Rowe and Casey Fry all scored in the 3-1 win.

St. Joseph’s (5-9, 2-1 A-10) has Penn, Saint Louis, and UMass on the schedule this week.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at [email protected].