Villanova trounces Maine during CAA weekend

Villanova quarterback Chris Witney put on a passing display Saturday as the Wildcats scored their way to victory on the road against the Maine, winning, 48-18.

Villanova’s (4-2, 2-1 Colonial Athletic Association) second conference win of the season put it into a two-way tie for third place, nipping at the heels of Massachusetts and William & Mary.

Witney lit up the scoreboard early in the game, connecting with receiver Angelo Babbaro for a 63-yard touchdown catch in the first quarter, but not before Witney ran in a one-yard touchdown on the previous offensive drive.

The Wildcats scored four touchdowns on five offensive drives in the first half, with Wintey posting a career-high 322 passing yards on the day and racking up five total touchdowns on his way to CAA Offensive player of the Week honor.

Villanova recorded 559 yards total offense, including 223 yards on the ground with three players rushing for 45-plus yards in the Wildcat’s shootout over the Black Bears.

Hens remain undefeated

Behind another second-half lockdown performance Delaware remains undefeated on the year, beating Rhode Island, 24-17, Saturday, staying at the No. 2 spot in the Football Championship Subdivision Coaches Poll.

Delaware (7-0, 4-0 CAA) was offensively sound to start the game, scoring on its first two offensive possessions.

The Rams (2-4, 1-2 CAA) had a chance to put some points on the board early in the first quarter, but had a field goal blocked, then recovered by the Delaware’s Darryl Jones, keeping the game at 14-0.

Andrew Pierce ran for 57 yards on an 11-play, 80-yard drive touchdown drive just before the end of half, but the Rams’ 75-yard ensuing kickoff return for touchdown made it 24-14 Delaware at halftime.

Although no touchdowns came in the second half, Blue Hen’s Marcus Burley provided the difference, intercepting two passes on defense. One came early in the third quarter, and the second came with just under five minutes left to play in the game with the Blue Hens up by seven points.

Running back Andrew Pierce ran for 143 yards and two touchdowns on the ground on 26 touches, on his way to a CAA Rookie of the Week honor. The win marks Delaware’s seventh victory on the season, four coming in-conference.
Evans, Hurd earn CAA honors

Matt Evans provided the hammer for New Hampshire as they went on the road to defeat higher-ranked James Madison Saturday, 28-14, while Evans earned a CAA co-Defensive Player of the Week honor.

Evans recorded a game-high 14 tackles, a sack and two-and-a-half tackles for losses for the Wildcats (4-3, 2-2 CAA) in victory, as JMU (4-2, 1-2 CAA) converted four third downs all game, with zero in the second half.

URI’s Travis Hurd provided a spark for the Rams with a 75-yard kickoff return for touchdown just before the close of the first half against Delaware on Saturday, earning him a CAA Special Teams Player of the Week honor. Hurd provided the Rams versatility in multiple phases of the game, returning three kickoffs, rushing the ball seven times for 20 yards and caught two catches for another 36 yards.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at [email protected].