UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Get ready for the “No-Name” Minutemen

The 2009-10 Massachusetts hockey team was a unit with an identity.         

Offensively, UMass was at its best when on the power play and feeding the puck to James Marcou and Casey Wellman. Those two elite scorers were the focal point of the Minutemen offense as well as opposing defenses.

It worked.

Marcou and Wellman had monster seasons, putting up 51 and 45 points apiece, respectively. Behind them, defensemen Justin Braun (31 points) and Matt Irwin (24 points) would come up to the offensive end to help production, particularly on the power play. Those things, coupled with the breakout season of Will Ortiz (26 points), encompassed the bulk of the Mass Attack on offense.         

Those top-five point-producers from last season, however, are long gone.         

Now, UMass coach Don Cahoon must find a way to make up for the loss of Marcou’s passing wizardry, Wellman’s offensive rush, Irwin’s slapshots and Ortiz’ speed. That, along with the countless things Braun and forward  and former captain Brett Watson did on both ends of the ice.         

When addressing the team’s new approach to offense, Cahoon used a term that’s going to be used quite often this season: “by committee.”         

While the Minutemen lost point-scorers one-through-five, they retained five-through-nine and a solid amount of experienced depth behind them. They also bring in 13 freshmen this season, who are going to do a whole lot of growing up, whether they’re ready or not.         

Heading into the season, the Mass Attack is not going to have any “stars.” There’s no one player that’s going to keep coaches up late at night. No one knows who’s going to step up and score on a particular night.

That, however, is UMass’ strength.         

While Cahoon loses his top scoring threats from last season, those losses open up the options of what he can do on offense. He does retain his fourth, fifth and sixth-ranking scorers last season in T.J. Syner, Danny Hobbs and Michael Marcou, who made their roles quite apparent, making the three the team’s assistant captains.         

Their role, however, will not involve trying to replace what the team lost. Instead, their focus will be to incorporate as many other players in the offense as possible. This means incorporating sophomores Rocco Carzo and Darren Rowe in the offense more than they were during their freshmen seasons. It means making sure senior forwards Mark Concannon, Mike Lecomte and Brian Keane get to use their experience. Most importantly, though, it’ll mean that freshmen forwards Mike Pereira, Conor Sheary, Eric Filiou, Conor Allen and others get their looks on the offensive end.         

While the new infusion of forwards will set the pace on the offensive end, Cahoon preaches a “five-man offense, five-man defense” philosophy that features a lot of movement on the ice. While the Minutemen lost Braun and Martin Nolet, they retain a solid group of blue-liners that make up for their lack of size with a wide skill set.         

No longer “the other Marcou,” Michael Marcou will take the A on his jersey that his brother wore last year and lead a defensive unit that will put the emphasis on putting pressure into the offensive zone. Marcou, along with Rowe, who have already put up three points apiece this season, bring the ability to perform on both ends of the ice to make up for the size that the unit lost with Braun and Nolet.         

The key for the defense, though, will be in maintaining communication and working within Cahoon’s philosophy of working both ends of the ice along with rookies Anthony Raiola, Colin Shea and the 6-foot-6 Adam Phillips.         

The chances of the Minutemen producing a Hobey Baker Award winner aren’t great this season. Goalkeeper Paul Dainton is the closest thing the Minutemen have to a star on the roster. But on the flipside, the huge class of freshmen and attitude of the team has done wonders in the locker room.         

The team’s leaders have noticed a change from the sometimes-cliquey atmosphere that has existed in the past. Such a thing is easier when the spotlight’s nice and wide like it is right now. It works for Cahoon, who says he’s going into this season with whatever guys emerge as his top 20.         

NHL prospects for the Minutemen are down this season. However, it may help them focus on their prospects in the Hockey East.        

Nick O’Malley is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at nomalley@student.umass.edu.