SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Last year’s stars striving for NHL

Courtesy of bleacherreport.net

With their college careers behind them, the stars of last year’s Massachusetts hockey team are now lacing up for shifts in professional hockey.         

Casey Wellman, James Marcou, Justin Braun and Matt Irwin were the foundation of the Minutemen last year. Perhaps no one appreciates their experiences at UMass more than they do. However, as children, their goals surpassed playing for a collegiate powerhouse like UMass. Their dreams lie with the NHL.         

Wellman, 23, played his second and last season for the Minutemen last year, tallying a team-leading 23 goals in 36 games, good for ninth in the nation with a 0.64 goals per game average. With 22 assists, Wellman finished his sophomore campaign with 45 points in 36 games.         

Following the season, Wellman signed an entry-level contract with the NHL’s Minnesota Wild. He made his NHL debut on March 19, recording an assist in the Wild’s 4-2 loss. Wellman recorded his first goal on April 10, when he netted a loose rebound in front of Dallas goalkeeper Kari Lehtonen. 

“It’s tough to describe, it was an unbelievable feeling,” Wellman said about the goal. “To not only be playing in the NHL, but scoring that first goal was unbelievable. There’s a picture on my desktop of me after with a huge smile on my face.”

It was an unforgettable moment for the California native, who is now trying to solidify a spot on the Wild for this season.

“I went from being one of the top guys at UMass to one of the lower guys with the Wild,” Wellman said. “I just have to get used to that and try to work myself up again to the top.”

After playing in Minnesota’s second game of the regular season, a 2-1 shootout loss to Carolina, it appeared that Wellman secured a spot on the team. On Oct. 9, however, Wellman was sent to the Wild’s AHL affiliate, the Houston Aeros, where he has scored a goal and an assist in three games.

The perks of being an NHL player are hard to pass up, like when Wellman was invited to Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau’s suite in Target Field to witness the Minnesota Twins clinch the American League Central in September. But through all the glamour and his budding NHL career, Wellman will never forget his time dressing in maroon and white.

“I really just miss playing for the school,” Wellman said. “Sometimes guys go and play for juniors and stuff like that but they don’t get the experience of playing for a community. It was so fun to play in front of all the students and see all my peers in class and stuff like that. I miss it a lot and I miss my teammates; they were great and the coaches were great.”

Marcou and Irwin both signed entry-level contracts with the San Jose Sharks on March 23, with Braun signing with the team a day later. The trio met up and played the final three games of the regular season with San Jose’s AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.

Their impacts were felt immediately, as they combined for six points in three games.

Although Marcou has yet to play an NHL game since turning pro, he is making quite an impression with the Worcester Sharks. He picked up right where he left off last year by scoring two goals and an assist in the team’s first four games this year, including a game-winning goal against the New York Rangers’ AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack.

Off the ice, Marcou has created a Twitter account with teammate Dan DaSilva, as they engage in a friendly battle to see who can get more followers.

Marcou was UMass’ leading scorer last year, registering 51 points in 36 games, setting a UMass’ single-season record with 40 assists.

Before the start of the season, Marcou reflected on his time working out with the big club in San Jose.

“We had training camp in San Jose for two weeks and I played an exhibition game [on Joe Thornton’s line],” Marcou said. “It was cool to be around all the guys in the big club after watching them on TV. Thornton was a pretty fun guy to be around. He’s just like a kid basically.”

“A kid” might not be the best way to describe the 31-year-old with a nickname of “Jumbo Joe” that fits his 6-foot-4, 235 pound frame. Thornton is a perennial all-star who has amassed nearly 1,000 points in his NHL career. Needless to say, the presence of Thornton and other stars have left an impression on Marcou, Braun and Irwin.         

“Just seeing them go about their stuff at the rink is pretty cool,” Marcou said. “They’re teaching us how to play [our style] and hopefully in the future we’ll get called up and show them our skill and what we’ve learned.”         

Through it all, the big four of last year will never forget their time skating in the Mullins Center in front of thousands of passionate fans.         

“The games at the Mullins Center were pretty cool with all the students that came – we had a really good following. I will definitely miss the atmosphere,” Marcou said.

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.