Minutewomen host No.6 Spartans Friday

The UMass women’s ice hockey team opens its 2010-11 season with an interesting story line.

After suffering a 6-2 loss at the hands of the Michigan State in last year’s postseason tournament, the Minutewomen won’t have to wait long for their shot at vengeance.

UMass, who finished eighth in the country last year, have high expectations going into the season.
“Our expectations are to improve on last year” UMass coach Chris Cobb said. “We think that if we play to our potential then we have a chance to contend for a national championship.”

However, victories will not be easy to attain according to their schedule. The Minutewomen have five of the top six teams in the country on their schedule including Lindenwood and the Spartans. twice, both of which they lost to in the national tournament.

The two goal-scorers for the Minutewomen during last year’s national tournament, Angela Rufo and Sam Mack, have both graduated, so the Minutewomen will be relying on younger faces to step up and perform in the spotlight.

“Our leading scorer, Brittany Resendes, is back,” Cobb said. “I look for her to improve on her freshman year and expect her to put up big numbers for us. Also, we will need Catherine O’Brien to score; she was a quiet contributor last year.”

Resendes tallied eight goals and 17 assists in her freshman campaign and looks to improve on that beginning with the Lady Spartans.

The Lady Spartans have already gotten their season under way, as they split games with the top team in the country in Lindenwood, winning 3-2 and then losing by the same score in a doubleheader in East Lansing.

In order for the Minutewomen to succeed, they will have to contain both Terra Payne and Charlotte Hoium. Payne, a senior forward for the Lady Spartans, seems to be in mid-season form, already scoring two goals and two assists. Hoium, a junior forward, has already amassed three assists and a goal in just two games.

The Minutewomen look to avenge their loss last year and will be motivated to open up their season against the formidable Lady Spartans.

The Lady Spartans travel to Amherst Friday, Oct. 22 to take on the Minutewomen. MSU comes in as the No.6 ranked team in the country.

Patrick Keller is a Collegian Correspondent and can be reached at [email protected].