SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Minutemen finish strong over Saint Joseph’s

It was a weekend of firsts for the Massachusetts men’s soccer team.

Not only did the Minutemen earn back-to-back road victories for the first time since 2008, but UMass remains unbeaten through six-straight games, which has not happened since last season.

On Sunday, the Minutemen (5-3-6, 4-0-1 Atlantic 10) finished their weekend with a strong 1-0 finish over Saint Joseph’s, thanks to Bryant Craft’s fifth goal of the year. Craft stands alone on the offensive scale for the Maroon and White, as he has 12 points thanks to his five goals and pair of assists.

“Today’s game was played much better,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “I felt comfortable how we were playing the whole game.”

Craft’s goal wouldn’t have been possible without midfielder Ben Arikian, who earned the assist on the game-winning goal. Arikian now stands alone as fourth all-time in career assists, and is one shy of moving up to third, and five away from being tied with Yuri Morales, who holds the record for most assists as a Minuteman.

Koch wasn’t shy about expressing his delight with the UMass offense’s presence against the Hawks (2-11-0, 1-4-0 A-10), as they out-shot SJU 19-12.

“We moved the ball better, we didn’t give [away] the ball as much, we possessed it better,” Koch said. “Something about today’s game is we didn’t finish our chances, and we had a lot of good opportunities to score and we didn’t finish them until nine minutes left.”

Goalkeeper Chris Piekos had another strong performance in the net for UMass, saving three shots to earn his fifth shutout of the year.

Piekos’ fourth shutout came on Friday, when UMass finished off Temple, 1-0, in a game which featured another first in freshman Connor DeVivo’s first collegiate goal.

“We certainly liked the result,” Koch said. “We didn’t play that well, but we found a way to win.” 

Piekos played a similar game on Friday, when he saved five of Temple’s 13 shots. The mighty defensive effort by the Minutemen wouldn’t have meant anything had it not been for the surprise goal by DeVivo.

DeVivo, who has played in three games in the 2010 season, scored his first collegiate goal against the Owls (4-7-2, 2-2-0 A-10) in the 61st minute.

For Koch, the goal capped off a game that the Minutemen narrowly escaped.

“It was one of those games when the game’s over [you] get on the bus as quick as you can and get out of there so they don’t change the score,” Koch said.

UMass felt a dominant performance by the Temple offense, suffering a 13-5 shot margin. Piekos and the Minutemen defense had to compete against four shots by Tyler Witmer, three of which were on goal, and then another three shots by Ryan Bradbury. Also contributing to the Temple attack were Cody Calafiore, Max Kinderwater and Vaughn Spurrier, who all had a pair of shots.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.