UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass heads to Stony Brook

Collegian Staff, Maxwell Sparr

The Massachusetts swimming and diving teams are heading to Stony Brook to face the Seawolves on Oct. 30. Both squads are coming off home victories against Army.

However, both teams have yet to win on the road, and SBU might prove to be an important test because it will be UMass’ second road meet in just three weeks.

The meet against the Black Knights was at home in the Joseph Rogers Pool, and UMass swept the opposing team. However, in the first meet of the season, the Minutemen were at Boston University, and were swept by both Terrier squads.

If both teams hope to contend for an Atlantic 10 crown, they will have to win the meets on the road, and that starts this weekend against SBU.

The Seawolves are also coming off a big victory, but unlike UMass, their victory came on the road.

On Oct. 23, the Seawolves faced off against the Saint Francis. Both SBU teams recorded their first victories of the early season. The men’s team won, 119–85, while the women’s team won, 154–50.

The meet at SBU’s Pool on Saturday opens the Seawolves home schedule, and poses obstacle to the UMass’ squads. If the Maroon and White hope to prove the preseason polls right, it must win on the road this coming week to avoid opening the season with two losses on the road.

If it is any consolation, the team that beat Stony Brook was the Black Knights, who UMass faced, and swept, last weekend.

In order to secure UMass’ .500 mark, the squads will have to rely on veteran leadership, as well as young talent. In the sweep against Army, it was this young talent that proved to be an important factor for both the Minutemen and the Minutewomen.

For the Minutemen, the young talent comes from Derek Hursch. The freshman earned the A-10 Performer of the Week after the match at BU.

Hursch swam in six individual meets this season and has come out victorious in all six of them, winning three against the Terriers, and three at home in the Joseph Rogers Pool against the Black Knights.

The Minutewomen expect a push from freshman Anna Cavanaugh who picked up her first collegiate victory against the Black Knights. Cavanaugh showed that the first win was all she needed to propel her early season, posting an impressive 3-0 record on the day.

Even with the young talent stepping up to help secure the victories, it is still up the veteran leadership of Tri-Captains Dan Backler, Adam Duffield and Brian Schmidt to anchor the men’s squad down, and secure their first road victory.

Nick Bellofatto can be reached at nbellofa@student.umass.edu.