Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Minutewomen close out regular season against Atlantic 10 foes

Geoff King/Collegian

With two games remaining on the regular season schedule, the Massachusetts field hockey team is preparing to transition into Atlantic 10 tournament play, but first it has to get past West Chester and La Salle this weekend.

The Minutewomen (11-6, 5-0 A-10) are unbeaten in conference play and will look to stay perfect in the A-10 for the second time in three seasons. The last time UMass accomplished this was in 2008, when the team went on to win the A-10 tournament, but lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Syracuse.

The Maroon and White hold a seven-game winning streak, currently the fourth-longest winning streak in the country, and have not lost a game in over a month. The last loss the team suffered was on Sept. 26th against Albany, which remains the only blemish on its home schedule as well.

“I think we generally tend to prepare our girls for what’s coming the next weekend pretty well,” UMass assistant coach Kelly Dostal said. “They’ve been doing a really nice job implementing what we’ve been working on [in practice]. We’ve been passing the ball a lot more and we’ve done better on [penalty] corners. Right now the whole coaching staff is very pleased with the team and I think we’re in a pretty good spot moving forward.”

Being the top team in a conference often allows a team some breathing room and the ability to play a little easier. This can be seen in professional sports all the time, but staying true to their philosophy from the first day of practice, the Minutewomen are preparing for one game at a time.

“You look past these two teams and suddenly you end up losing a game to a team that’s 1-4 in the conference and suddenly your top seed is in jeopardy,” Dostal said. “We’re still preparing for these games just like we’ve prepared all season. We’re looking strictly at Friday’s game now and we’ll prepare for Sunday’s after that.”

West Chester (5-11, 1-4 A-10) is in the midst of a five-game losing streak and coming off a 3-0 shutout loss to the second-place team in the A-10, Lock Haven. The Golden Rams have been shut out in three consecutive games and are winless in three overtime games this season.

La Salle (6-11, 1-4 A-10), meanwhile, has lost three straight contests including a 1-0 shutout to third-place Richmond.

The Golden Rams and the Explorers are both long-shots to make the A-10 tournament at the end of the season, as only four teams qualify. So, with both teams on losing streaks, the Maroon and White are prepared to face the best each squad has to offer.

“We try to keep the focus on us as much as possible and on what we need to do to get better,” Dostal said. “It’s a good problem to be the top team in the conference. Teams do bring their best against us, which is exciting. It gives us an additional challenge and reminds us we have to play our best when we come out against these teams [no matter what their record].”

The Minutewomen will face West Chester at 3 p.m. on Friday and will close out their regular season on Sunday at noon at La Salle.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.