UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Minutemen come back, down Dukes 21-14

Samantha Webber/Collegian

Following consecutive losses for the first time this season, the Massachusetts football team rallied in the fourth quarter to defeat James Madison on the road, 21-14.

The No. 18 Minutemen (5-3, 3-2 Colonial Athletic Association) scored 18 straight points, including 15 in the final quarter, for their largest comeback of the year (11 points).

“Everything’s based on attitude and execution,” UMass coach Kevin Morris said in a post-game interview with UMassathletics.com. “I think in the second half, we might have relaxed a little bit. We might have been a little uptight from the past couple weeks, when we weren’t able to convert as well as we did in the first half of the season. We just came out and relaxed and tried to play our game of football and the guys did an excellent job against a real aggressive and fast defense.”

Quarterback Kyle Havens led UMass in the air with 163 yards and two touchdowns on an efficient 15-for-19 passing. On the ground, tailback Jonathan Hernandez carried the ball 28 times for 137 yards, marking the third time this season the junior has gone over the 100-yard mark.

The Minutemen defense stuffed the Dukes on a key 4th-and-1 play at the JMU 48-yard line with 10 minutes remaining in the contest to give UMass possession. After driving down to the 1-yard line, Havens found tight end Andrew Krevis for his third score of the season to give the Minutemen the lead for good.

“There wasn’t any panic,” Havens said in an interview with UMassathletics.com. “It was actually very calm. Before the game we were hyped up and everything, but at halftime, we were calm. We knew the same thing like all year, we have confidence in the defense, [and] the defense has confidence in us. We know if we play well, we’ll get it done.”

Wide receiver Anthony Nelson, despite being held to a quiet 25 yards on two receptions, made a significant impact on special teams, as he filled in for regular punt returner Julian Talley for a play. Towards the end of the third quarter, Nelson fielded a punt at the UMass 30-yard line and returned it for 53 yards into the red zone.

“At first, I thought it was going to be a regular return, maybe 10 yards,” Nelson said after the game. “Then all of a sudden, Woody Carter just came out of nowhere and sprung a big block for me.”

The Minutemen capped off the short drive with a two-yard touchdown reception by Talley, who finished with a game-high 66 yards on four receptions. Havens found Dan Sheeran on a pass for the two-point conversion to tie the contest at 14 apiece.

Linebacker Tyler Holmes sealed the victory with a 10-yard sack of Dukes quarterback Drew Dudzik with two minutes, 48 seconds left in the game. The junior finished the contest with 14 tackles to lead the Minutemen defense, while senior Mike Mele chipped in with 13 stops.

“We were well prepared,” Holmes said in an interview with UMassathletics.com. “I think the first half we were just a little unsettled with people not doing their jobs and tying to do too much. Second half, we settled down, we were able to play and get a second-half shutout.”

Both of the Dukes’ scores were punched in by tailback Jamal Sullivan, who racked up 73 rushing yards. Dudzik, as well as throwing for 179 passing yards, amassed 98 yards on the ground for a game-high 277 yards of offense.

With the loss, No. 15 JMU drops to 4-4 overall and 1-4 in the CAA.

The Minutemen will return to action next week as they host Maine at 3:30 p.m. at McGuirk Stadium.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.