UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MANNA soup kitchen continues to feed the local hungry in Northampton -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dash & Dine race raises funds for Amherst Survival Center -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Minutewomen best sports story of semester at UMass

UMass Field Hockey @ La Salle from Daily Collegian on Vimeo.

Just one week after covering the Massachusetts football team’s game against New Hampshire at Gillette Stadium, I hit the road again for Comedy Central hosts Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert’s “Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear” in Washington D.C, then left for Philadelphia to kill multiple birds (covering UMass sports, cutting down on driving time and sight-seeing a great city) with one stone.

On Sunday afternoon, the Collegian staffers who made the road trip and I left the comfy confines of our Sheraton hotel, traveled roughly seven miles north on Broad Street through some rough neighborhood in Philly, passed fellow Atlantic 10 school Temple and arrived at La Salle just in time to cover the field hockey game.

When I got there, the environment was nothing like what I dealt with just last week. In fact, this stadium wasn’t anywhere near the quality of Garber Field. Instead of a working press box with a view over the stadium, I had a seat on the top bleacher with spotty internet connection and surrounded by fans of the Explorers. The field itself didn’t even belong to La Salle’s field hockey team, but to the baseball team.

In addition, the Minutewomen didn’t have the hype surrounding the game that the “Colonial Clash” had. The football team received coverage across Massachusetts and New Hampshire. The Hampshire Gazette was the only other paper besides the Collegian to cover the field hockey team’s ninth-straight win.

But in this game, the drama provided all the entertainment necessary to make-up for what it lacked in pomp and circumstance. Just when it looked like the Minutewomen would cruise to a perfect season in the A-10 after a goal from junior Thando Zono, La Salle’s Gabrielle Nolt scored during the final two minutes of the first half to tie the game.

UMass got past the field turf on a baseball diamond, which made controlling the ball that much more difficult and pulled off a second goal against the Explorers.

Following the game, there were only two people at the post-game interviews – myself and Nick O’Malley, the Collegian’s Multimedia Sports Producer.

Needless to say, this game didn’t get the attention it deserved. The Minutewomen finished their conference slate undefeated and finished the season as the only team to hold a nine-game winning streak all season.

UMass became arguably the best sports story of the semester without any acknowledgment.

The Minutewomen started last season with a hot start with wins over some of the best teams in the nation, but struggled against its own conference and just barely snuck into the tournament. They eventually lost to Richmond and were not the A-10 Champions-a rarity for UMass coach Justine Sowry and Co.

This year, the Maroon and White weren’t so stellar during their non-conference schedule with a 6-6 record, although they accomplished upsets against rivals Syracuse and Connecticut at home.

After falling out of the rankings, the Minutewomen are now in position to reclaim the A-10 crown – and nobody cares. Never mind the fact that the field hockey program is currently the most successful program UMass has to offer behind softball, but for the most part goes unnoticed among the community.

It’s easy to get swept up in the three biggest sports here (basketball, football and hockey) and forget about some of the smaller sports. But if you take out the whole “it’s football” argument and disregard the fact that Gillette Stadium is significantly nicer than the ratty-looking baseball diamond the field hockey team had to play on, the game I went to this Sunday was actually better to watch than last week’s.

There are some times when the simple things are more enjoyable, and this is one of them. When you watch a team as good as the Minutewomen, there’s no need for a fancy press box or a venue that holds over 68,000 people.

All that’s needed is a good storyline, a well-played game and the rest will unfold in front of you. If you’re one of those people who think there are only three sports at UMass worth watching, I would suggest attending a field hockey game, even if it takes a trip out of Amherst through the slums of Philadelphia to finally come to that realization.

Adam Miller is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.

2 Responses to “Minutewomen best sports story of semester at UMass”
  1. Chris Widdall says:

Well written! If people only realized a field hockey ball is one of the fastest moving balls in all sporting events. ESPN did a article on this, even faster than a ice hockey puck and think of the difference in padding. I agree it is a sport worth watching and learning to love!

2. Amy Novak says:

Great article! I am a very proud alumni….keep up the awesome work ladies! Looking forward to a win on Tuesday vs. Stanford! <3