Wingo earns weekly conference honors

Courtesy of Charlotte Media Relations
Charlotte’s Macky Wingo was named the Atlantic 10 Women’s Soccer Player of the Week, while Richmond’s Becca Wann and La Salle’s Renee Washington shared the Rookie of the Week award.

Wingo scored five goals in two games this week and helped her team take the top spot in the conference tournament.

The junior midfielder began the week by recording her first collegiate hat trick versus Saint Joseph’s in a 5-1 blowout. She followed up her hat trick by registering two goals in a 7-0 win over Temple.

The award was her second Conference Player of the Week award this season.

Wann, meanwhile, scored three goals last week and nearly led her team to a surprise playoff berth.

She opened up the week with two goals in the Spider’s 4-0 upset of Duquesne and topped it off when she helped Richmond secure its second upset in as many games, knocking off St. Bonaventure, 2-1. In the 10th minute, she scored her 10th goal of the season and gave the Spiders a 1-0 lead.

Washington helped send the Explorers into the playoffs with a game-winning goal in a 3-0 victory over Massachusetts.

The goal was her second of the week after she provided the only score in a 3-1 loss to Rhode Island.

The freshman also finished the regular season with ten goals, which put her in a four-way tie for the second most scores in the conference. Her mark also tied her for eighth most goals in a single season at La Salle.

Playoff field set

Charlotte (15-4, 8-1 A-10) and Dayton (16-3, 8-1 A-10) clinched the top two spots for this weeks A-10 tournament.

Charlotte won a tiebreaker with Dayton, giving it the top seed in the tournament, while the Flyers settled for the No. 2 seed.

The rest of the field consists of No. 3 Duquesne (9-8-1, 6-3 A-10), No. 4 St. Bonaventure (11-8, 5-4 A-10), No. 5 seed Massachusetts (8-10, 5-4 A-10), and No. 6 La Salle (10-8-2, 4-4-1 A-10).

The three-day tournament kicks off this Thursday with Duquesne playing La Salle and SBU playing UMass.

If the Bonnies were to advance to the second round, they could be the team to shake things up, and dethrone one of the top seeds.

SBU handed Charlotte and Dayton their only conference losses this season. However, the Bonnies have been an enigma, dropping three matches to the seemingly inferior La Salle, Richmond, and Saint Louis.

By receiving the top two seeds in the tournament, both Dayton and Charlotte will have first-round byes.

The teams will open up play on the second day of the tournament with the 49ers facing the lowest remaining seed to advance, and the Flyers playing the highest remaining seed to advance.

The winners of the second round will face off this Sunday with the A-10 championship at stake.

Conn finishes strong

The Temple women’s soccer team finished in last place in the A-10 standings this season. However, that did not stop Niki Conn from being one of the most productive players in the league.

Conn was first in the A-10 in shots (86), second in points (24) and tied for second in goals (10).

These impressive numbers came in a down year for the Owls, who finished the season 1-7-1 in conference play and were last in the league in points with four.

The team got off to a nice start, going 5-5 in non-conference play, including a 7-0 victory over Howard.

Once A-10 play kicked off though, the success immediately ceased. Temple went 0-5-1 in its first six matches, until it finally defeated Rhode Island for its first and only conference win.

If it weren’t for Conn, the team likely would have gone winless in the conference. The junior netted both of the Owls goals in a 2-1 victory the Rams two weeks ago.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at [email protected].