Matt and Kim to bare all at Pearl Street

Courtesy Matt & Kim's Official Myspace
Of all the famous male-female duos in the music industry, Matt and Kim certainly have the most impressive resume. After all, would Sonny and Cher streak through Times Square in the dead of winter? Certainly Donny and Marie Osmond wouldn’t have allowed for food to be thrown at them while they performed. And, while Jack and Meg White are a rocking twosome, there is simply no way you will catch them playing “Seven Nation Army” from the inside of their refrigerator. In case you’re curious, Matt and Kim can take credit for all of the above.

Hailing from Brooklyn, N.Y., Matt Johnson and Kim Schifino have never been afraid to live life. They are exactly what they make themselves out to be: bold, upbeat, and ready to take on whatever the world throws their way. These days, the world has thrown them some viral notability, which the band has graciously taken in stride.

The dynamic duo is headed for Pearl Street this coming Saturday in support of their latest album, “Sidewalks.” The 9 p.m. show also features Javelin and Fletcher C. Johnson.

After Johnson and Schifino met at the Pratt Institute in New York, the couple got to work on recording. The product was “Matt and Kim,” their simply-titled 2006 debut. The album was comprised of fast-paced and minimally produced dance-punk tunes. Songs like “Yea Yeah,” “Light speed,” and “No More Long Years” earned the band a loyal local following. For the next album, however, they decided not to work under the pressures of studio production, which had only granted them nine days to complete recording.

As a follow up, 2008’s “Grand” was an improvement upon the duo’s already well-received musical formula. The album was recorded in Johnson’s childhood bedroom, and the stress-free environment shines through on every track. For feedback, Johnson bounced songs off of his brother, who then critiqued and inspired. Named after the street on which they lived, “Grand” has a very close-to-home feel, showing off more of the lyrical play from “Matt and Kim.”

“Daylight,” which struck gold when it was featured on a Bacardi commercial, is perhaps the band’s best-known tune. Bright keyboard beneath carpe diem lyrics creates an effortless, feel-good tune.
Off the same album comes “Lessons Learned,” an upbeat single with one of the most daring music videos of our generation. Well bundled at first, the pair slowly disrobe in the middle of Times Square, shedding clothing while onlookers stand with mouths agape. Unsurprisingly, there is something to be learned from such fearlessness.

Matt and Kim’s latest release, “Sidewalks,” which was released earlier this week, is anything but a departure for the band. Lots of synth, quirky vocals, and feel-good melodies consistently comprise the duo’s songwriting recipe. If the single “Cameras” is any indication, the band is just as optimistic as ever. Falling into place with their back catalogue, the song is an upbeat testament to living life to the fullest. However, with the addition of horns and heavier production, the band sheds some of its rougher roots for a more polished, studio-oriented vibe.

Johnson has described the band’s songwriting process as beginning with the basic beat and branching out from there. After the initial rhythm is set, Schifino does some free association, writing out whatever sentences the music evokes from her. From this writing, Johnson picks and chooses what he best relates to and the new song is born.

There is a big difference between Matt and Kim’s recorded work and their live shows. Always smiling, the band is all about having fun in the live setting and sharing their happiness with the audience.

Sometimes learning to appreciate life is hard. Instead of stressing, allow Matt and Kim to do the work so you don’t have to. A single song by these dance-punk pioneers and you’ll be ready to take on the world with a smile as bright as Times Square. Of course, there are other paths to gaining this sort of appreciation, but it is definitely too cold in New York this time of year to be streaking.

Matt and Kim will be performing at Pearl Street Nightclub in Northampton on Saturday, Nov. 6 at 9 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance and $18 at the door.

Angela Stasiowski can be reached at [email protected].