Kansas carries on tour to Northampton

This Saturday night, 70s progressive rock band Kansas will perform at the Calvin Theater in Northampton. The band is known for its unique album covers and diverse prog rock sound, but its relevance today relies solely on three hit songs.

“Carry On Wayward Son,” off Kansas’s forth album “Leftoverture,” recently regained popularity after being featured in interactive music video games Guitar Hero and Rock Band, in addition to being on the “Happy Gilmore” and “Anchorman” soundtracks. “Leftoverture” was released in 1976, but in 1977, the band released their most famous and successful album, “Point of Know Return.”

Courtesy Myspace.com

Both “Dust in the Wind” and the title-track, “Point of Know Return,” dove right into the Billboard Top 40 lists, and both still find air time on the radio today. In the 2003 movie “Old School,” Comedian actor Will Ferrell sang “Dust in the Wind” to a fallen fraternity brother Joseph “Blue” Palasky. The down-to-earth song was recently featured in a Subaru commercial as well.

While most certainly the least known song of the three, “Point of Know Return” was used in a State Farm Insurance commercial and was referred to as a “guilty pleasure.” Nevertheless, just like fellow prog rockers Yes and Styx, Kansas has retained enough of a fan base to tour frequently today.

While still led by original lead singer and keyboardist, Steve Walsh, the band has changed quite a bit over the years. Drummer Phil Ehart and lead guitarist Richard Williams remain of the founding members, as the author of their two biggest songs, Kerry Livgren, and bassist Dave Hope have moved on. Today, the remaining spots in the band are comprised of Dave Ragsdale on violin and guitar and bassist Billy Greer.

Kansas, which was originally named White Clover when it was founded in 1970 according to Billboard.com, is the second band celebrating 40 years since its founding to visit the Calvin in a month’s time; America played on Oct. 15. There are still plenty of tickets available to see the Topeka-based classic rockers. Prices range from $35-$45.

Justin Gagnon can be reached at [email protected].
Correction made on Nov. 6, 2010 at 7:28 p.m.