Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Field hockey wins Atlantic 10 championship over Lock Haven

The season-long mission finally came to fruition for the Massachusetts field hockey team late Saturday afternoon, as the Minutewomen celebrated their third Atlantic 10 championship in four years, defeating Lock Haven in the A-10 title game by a score of 2-0.

“It was a fantastic weekend,” UMass coach Justine Sowry said. “The entire team worked so hard; they’ve worked hard the entire year and this weekend was no exception. They played some great passing hockey. It’s fantastic to get another title.”

Senior Jaime Bourazeris scored the first half goal in her last A-10 match. The assist went to Makaela Potts, one of the other two graduating seniors, along with Katie Kelly.

“It feels great,” Bourazeris said. “We worked together, got an early goal and kept it together for the rest of the game.  [Mine] was just a straight hit and it was kind of off and I just stepped in and got a touch on it. That kind of happened yesterday and I missed it, so I was determined to get it this time.”

The three seniors, along with goalkeeper Alesha Widdall, received the A-10 trophy on behalf of their teammates, hoisting it above their shoulders as they smiled for a group photo. Widdall finished the tournament holding both of her opponents scoreless in over 143 minutes of play. She is now 4-1 in her A-10 tournament career.

“It’s awesome to finally have the Atlantic 10 championship back in our hands,” Kelly said. “Last year was really devastating when we didn’t have it. We [seniors] came in [four years ago] winning the championship, and we wanted to go out leaving with the championship in our hands.”

Freshman Alexa Sikalis added the insurance goal for the Minutewomen in the 64th minute off an assist from Kelly. The score put UMass in complete control with a 2-0 advantage with under 10 minutes to go.

Kelly made her way into the left side of the circle, drawing the defense to her, before finding Sikalis for the shot. The teamwork of Sikalis and Kelly, with both players at opposite ends of their UMass careers, is an example of the synergy Sowry has seen all season with her team.

“It’s extremely gratifying,” Sowry said. “Especially when this team right now is the coaching staff’s team and to have, especially the senior class, in their last year, to come and play some fantastic hockey amongst so many freshmen on the field, it’s a great way for them to go out, but it’s also just fantastic for the future of this program. We have an amazing young team right now, and already I’m looking forward to next year.”

It was freshman Lindsay Bowman who sent UMass to the title game by scoring on a pass from Kelly three minutes and 14 seconds into overtime on Friday against host Temple.

Junior Thando Zono carried the ball into the circle and found Kelly waiting on the left side. Kelly hit a one-time sharp grounder to Bowman, who was positioned perfectly in front of the goal.

“All I remember was I was trying to keep my stick down low and just kept in mind what the coaches told me to do, because I have a habit of coming up off the ball,” Bowman said.

The Minutewomen outshot the Owls, 21-3, never doubting that their pressure would eventually pay off with a score.

“It’s in true UMass spirit that we have a lot of fight, and I just said keep persisting. That’s what we’ve done all year,” Sowry said.

The overtime win was the fourth of the year for UMass in four tries, as the players have grown comfortable playing in such high-pressure situations.

“I wouldn’t say we’re too confident, but we’re definitely composed,” Bourazeris said. “We know what we have to do, and we get a nice flow going and eventually we come out with a win, which is all we know in overtime right now.”

Now the Minutewomen are poised for another quick turnaround, as they continue their season at Garber Field with a match against Stanford on Tuesday at 1pm.

“This is what it’s all about,” Sowry said. “This is to get into the NCAA Tournament, and I know the team is excited. We’re going to be ready and we want as many people as possible to come out and support us.”

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.