A hilarious race to make the “Due Date”

In “Due Date,” Peter, an expectant father played by Robert Downey Jr., hurries home to be by his wife’s side for the birth of their first child. His race back to Los Angeles is interrupted by a random encounter with aspiring actor, Ethan Tremblay, played by Zach Galifianakis. A casual confrontation becomes a serious problem. The incident puts a wrench in their plans for traveling anywhere by plane.

Unfortunately, Peter has no way of renting a car since his wallet has been misplaced in the chaos. Coincidentally, Ethan just happens to be headed to Los Angeles by car. This unlikely pair is forced to team up on a road trip to California. These two individuals make their journey across the country together and experience some out of this world adventures.

Viewers will not be able to control their belly-aching laughter throughout the film. When you think it cannot get any worse, it does. This movie keeps you guessing about what could possibly come next.

Some parts of this movie give the audience a feeling of headshaking shock and disgust. Considering that this movie stars the same actor who played Alan in “The Hangover,” you can probably imagine why viewers might feel this way. Galifianakis seems to play the role of the “weird guy” so well. His hilarious mannerisms and strange essence will keep you giggling.

Surprisingly, there is an underlying sadness beneath the façade of comedy for one of the characters. In a few scenes in the movie, you may be brought down from your laughter high and may even shed a tear. The facial close ups initiate the viewers to have an emotional reaction. Galifianakis acts out an impressively touching scene. It is unexpected to see this side of him, since the character he commonly plays does not call for a display of emotions.

Despite the fact that “Due Date” is an entertaining comedy, it has some flaws. While this movie provides lots of laughs, it has some parallel similarities with “The Hangover.” With the same director, several of the same actors, and same sick humor, “Due Date” seems like an unfit imitation of “The Hangover.” Since that movie was such a hit, the director probably casted many of the same actors purposely, hoping for “Due Date” to live successfully outside the shadow of “The Hangover.” However, the not-so-intelligent “Alan” character is getting old. It’s time for Galifianakis to try something new with his career.

The ending is somewhat predictable. Two very different people take a road trip together and cannot get along or agree on anything for one minute. You can probably guess how it will end. Who knows, maybe they will put aside their differences and get together for the better good?

It is strange for a comedy to have a moral – however, this one does. This movie stresses the importance of looking beneath the surface. Things are not always how they appear. It is important to get to know someone before you judge them. This movie does something a little different by adding a moral to a comedy.

This light-hearted comedy is perfect for you’re looking for a good laugh. Get together with some friends and witness the hilarious race to make the “Due Date.”

Malea Ritz can be reached at [email protected].