The 411 on East Coast Skiing and Riding

Courtesy of glemak, Flickr.com
With the first hopeful “wintery mix” weather forecast of the snow season come the preparations. Ski and snowboard waxing, snowmaking and long-underwear shopping are on any skier or boarder’s agenda in provision for ski resorts’ opening days.

The University of Massachusetts is a decent location for winter sports fanatics, as Vermont and New Hampshire ski destinations are within reasonable driving distance. Below is a review of seven ski and board spots UMass boarders and skiiers may find intriguing.

Mount Snow is located in West Dover, Vt. and is roughly a one hour and 30 minute drive from Amherst. Equipped with tasty lodge food and excellent grooming, this mountain has an array of intermediate to advanced trails. Mount Snow is debatably the best park mountain on the East coast, with an entire peak solely comprised of park features. With appealing conditions come the crowds, though, as this mountain has a reputation for dishearteningly long lines. If you can stand the wait and are interested in multiple trips, a mere $299 student discount season pass is worth your while.

Stratton Mountain is located in Stratton, Vt. and should take an hour and 45 minutes travel time. This site is a bit more family-oriented than Mount Snow, with more beginner and intermediate trails, but it is also well-groomed. The weekends are unbearably crowded, making weekdays a better bet to visit on. If tricks are your strong suit, the park gets progressively more built-up throughout the season.

Okemo Mountain resides in Ludlow, Vt. and takes just under two hours to drive to from UMass. This expensive mountain offers no single-day pass student discounts and has fairly small lodges. Excess parking close to the mountain is key, as walking for half a mile with heavy boots and equipment can dampen anyone’s mood. Okemo has minimal base lifts, which creates a long lineup initially. Beginners can rest easy upon entering the lifts, as several of them are accompanied with magic carpets.

Mount Sunapee hails in Newbury, New Hampshire and is two hours and 10 minutes from Amherst. This mountain is right on Lake Sunapee, giving mountain-goers a breathtaking view from the slopes. Once you get past the first lift, the lines tend to be rather scarce. The summit runs are enjoyable; there is glade skiing and a decent park scene. Sunapee’s only downfall is its smaller size.

Killington Resort is located in Killington, Vt. and is a journey just under two hours and 30 minutes. Also known as the “Beast of the East,” this mountain is one of the biggest skis areas in New England. Killington gets tons of snow, has over 200 trails and is known for its nightlife. This resort prides itself on having one of the longest seasons and has at least five base camps. The downside to Killington? This hot spot is crawling with Yankee-loving New Yorkers.

Loon Mountain, just over three hours away, is located in Lincoln, N.H.. The medium-sized mountain welcomes enthusiasts of all ability levels, with everything from rope tows, to blue intermediate trails, to triple black diamonds. A new peak was developed several years ago, attracting bigger crowds than ever before. Depending on how crowded Loon is, the easier trails occasionally run icy. Though the lines are rough on weekends, buses run from the mountain to hotels throughout the town, eliminating that chilly walk from the parking lot.

Jay Peak is located in Jay, Vt. and is an adventurous three hour and 40 minute trek from campus. Bone-chillingly cold, the mountain has great backcountry glade skiing. Snowmaking is never an issue, as Northern Vermont gets the most snow in the area. Jay Peak has a 50-passenger tram that rockets the masses to the summit in a timely manner. A day ticket is fairly cheap, with the 581 Card making the freezing journey worthwhile.

Dig out your mittens and pick up an extra shift at work, because this ski and snowboard season is sure to be cold and costly. Don’t let these minutiae stop you, because these mountains are all worth a trip. Opening day is just around the corner, and what better way to work off that Thanksgiving feast than to burn 2,000 calories on the slopes?

Kate Evans can be reached at [email protected].