Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Minutemen looking to turn around season

Geoff King/Collegian

The Massachusetts hockey team cannot hide from the fact that it is still searching for that coveted first win of the season. The only way to find that win is to put everything in the past and take this upcoming weekend series against New Hampshire as an opportunity to jump-start its still very young season.

“We are at just the very beginning of our Hockey East season,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said. “It’s been a difficult start for us but we’ve had only four Hockey East games, tied two of them and lost two. [We’ve] played hard in pretty much all four games.”

The Minutemen (0-5-2, 0-2-2 Hockey East) are fresh off a three-goal loss to Army, their worst loss of the season, to a team that had only one win prior to the meeting. The players, however, have stepped up to the competition brought by the best teams in the country. They tied No. 8 Boston University on the road and lost three other games to Minnesota and BU by a total of only four scores.

The effort will be there against their latest top 10 opponent. This weekend’s conference battle with the No. 8-ranked Wildcats is the latest chance for UMass to straighten itself out and begin its ascent in the Hockey East.

“We’ve got 23 regular season games to go,” Cahoon said. “If we can get something done this weekend and take some points out of New Hampshire, that’s going to be a step in the right direction towards realizing some success in the league and putting ourselves in a better position to be able to be part of the playoff system and to hopefully give us some impetus to be able to grow as a team so we’re clearly the team we want to be at the end of the year.”

The Mass Attack is currently tied with Vermont as the cellar dwellers of the 10-team conference. However, gaining two points from its next two games, via one win or two ties, would tie them with sixth-place UMass Lowell at four points. UMass Lowell, after suffering a one-goal lost to UNH last weekend, doesn’t play until Nov. 19th against Merrimack.

In essence, a split in their two-game series could leap the Minutemen back into the middle of the standings. That’s easier said than done, however, especially against a veteran-filled Wildcat team that has not dropped a game since their second game of the season on Oct. 8th. Still, given the grittiness the Minutemen play with, it’s a distinct possibility.

That philosophy of optimism and opportunity is what the players and coaches are surrounding themselves with. What happened already in the season isn’t as important as what happens in the future.

“No one’s going to remember this part of the season if in fact we can be a much more goal-oriented and successful team the second half of the season. So that’s our whole mission,” Cahoon said.

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.