Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass wraps up fall season

After a respectable effort at the Green Monster Regatta at Dartmouth last weekend which featured only novice rowers, the Massachusetts rowing team will conclude its 2010 fall season this weekend on the waters of the Charles River in Boston for the Foot of the Charles Regatta.

The novice team, led by assistant coach Alex Binkowski, performed decently in its first featured competition.

Racing against the likes of MIT, Boston College and Holy Cross, the Minutewomen brought two boats to compete in the 8+ race. The boats crossed the finish line in 12th place at 17 minutes, 13.10 seconds and in 13th place at 17:26.50.

The novice team will look to build off that performance, but although the Foot of the Charles is primarily a novice race, a few varsity members will also make the trip for the last race of the fall campaign.

The squad will be returning to the same site of the Head of the Charles, the most prestigious and glorified race of the fall year.

However, contrary to last month, in which UMass raced against Olympic and national crews, the Foot of the Charles is a collegiate-only event and will bode well for it as it faces much more level competition.

The course layout is very similar to last month’s race and should be an edge for the novice rowers. For the varsity rowers traveling to Boston, however, the race will focus less on the results and more on techniques and getting some extra work and competition in before the end of the season.

While some of the varsity team will head to Boston, the Minutewomen will not their elite and more experienced racers. Instead, four women will be going to Boston with different plans in trying to gain a spot on the U-23 United States National Team at the annual USRowing Identification Camp.

Senior Ali DiMatteo, juniors Amanda Doolin and Kendall Bennett and sophomore Michaela Streitfield will all attend the camp and attempt to follow in the footsteps of teammate Emily Boucher, a junior who earned a spot on the national team last year.

Still, the Minutewomen are using all of these pieces as building blocks for the spring, when they will attempt to avenge their close loss in the Atlantic 10 championship last season.

With the squad seemingly at peak form, Coach Jim Dietz said that the team is still working towards a much more successful spring.
“We’re really just getting into the year,” Dietz said last week. “Things are progressing and we’re going to continue to train hard.”

After the conclusion of the fall season this weekend, the Minutewomen will look ahead to their winter training session in Florida in January, where they will build towards the spring season and a run at their 14th A-10 championship.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu.