Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass wraps up fall season

After a respectable effort at the Green Monster Regatta at Dartmouth last weekend which featured only novice rowers, the Massachusetts rowing team will conclude its 2010 fall season this weekend on the waters of the Charles River in Boston for the Foot of the Charles Regatta.

The novice team, led by assistant coach Alex Binkowski, performed decently in its first featured competition.

Racing against the likes of MIT, Boston College and Holy Cross, the Minutewomen brought two boats to compete in the 8+ race. The boats crossed the finish line in 12th place at 17 minutes, 13.10 seconds and in 13th place at 17:26.50.

The novice team will look to build off that performance, but although the Foot of the Charles is primarily a novice race, a few varsity members will also make the trip for the last race of the fall campaign.

The squad will be returning to the same site of the Head of the Charles, the most prestigious and glorified race of the fall year.

However, contrary to last month, in which UMass raced against Olympic and national crews, the Foot of the Charles is a collegiate-only event and will bode well for it as it faces much more level competition.

The course layout is very similar to last month’s race and should be an edge for the novice rowers. For the varsity rowers traveling to Boston, however, the race will focus less on the results and more on techniques and getting some extra work and competition in before the end of the season.

While some of the varsity team will head to Boston, the Minutewomen will not their elite and more experienced racers. Instead, four women will be going to Boston with different plans in trying to gain a spot on the U-23 United States National Team at the annual USRowing Identification Camp.

Senior Ali DiMatteo, juniors Amanda Doolin and Kendall Bennett and sophomore Michaela Streitfield will all attend the camp and attempt to follow in the footsteps of teammate Emily Boucher, a junior who earned a spot on the national team last year.

Still, the Minutewomen are using all of these pieces as building blocks for the spring, when they will attempt to avenge their close loss in the Atlantic 10 championship last season.

With the squad seemingly at peak form, Coach Jim Dietz said that the team is still working towards a much more successful spring.
“We’re really just getting into the year,” Dietz said last week. “Things are progressing and we’re going to continue to train hard.”

After the conclusion of the fall season this weekend, the Minutewomen will look ahead to their winter training session in Florida in January, where they will build towards the spring season and a run at their 14th A-10 championship.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu.