BC’s methodical rushing attack wears UMass down -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

UMass football dominated as Boston College rolls to a 30-7 victory -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Arrest made after lewd acts on campus -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UNH stands in the way of UMass’ first win

Geoff King/Collegian

Two games against New Hampshire are surely an unwelcome sight for the Massachusetts men’s hockey team, as it searches for its first win of the season.

The No. 8-ranked Wildcats (4-1-2, 2-0-1 Hockey East) will be a challenge for the Minutemen, who are coming off a 5-1 exhibition win against the Swedish National Under-20 Team last Saturday. Though the win didn’t count towards UMass’ record, it was comforting for the Minutemen, who lost 5-2 to Army the night before.

“We rebounded nicely from [the Army game] as well as we could in the exhibition on Saturday,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said. “Hopefully we can carry [that] into good practices which will lead to better performances.”

A sound performance is just what UMass needs against a national powerhouse like New Hampshire.

“Looking at their roster, they’re as mature a team as there is in our league,” Cahoon said. “They’ve got a recruiting balance in place that’s allowed them to graduate key players and watch other key players assume their roles. There are very few freshmen who are expected to contribute in major ways.”

The leading scorers for the Minutemen, on the other hand, include sophomore defenseman Darren Rowe (five goals, one assist) and freshman Michael Pereira (four goals, two assists).

Both UMass and UNH have played seven games thus far, with the Wildcats featuring nine players with at least five points. The Wildcats are lead by sophomore forwards Dalton Speelman and John Henrion, who each have four goals and three assists. UMass has four players with five points.

“This year, [UNH] is one of the most balanced teams in college hockey,” Cahoon said. “They have veterans coming back in every position except their goaltender [Matt DiGirolamo].”

DiGirolamo’s patience the previous two years has paid off, as watching and learning from his predecessors has prepared him well for the starting role. In seven games, DiGirolamo has a .921 save percentage and 2.66 goals against average.

Cahoon is not sure whether to start rookie goaltender Jeff Teglia or senior captain Paul Dainton in goal for the weekend slate. Dainton has not been his normal self up to this point, allowing nearly four goals per game to go along with an .881 save percentage in five starts (0-3-1). Teglia has been a pleasant surprise, but has not played much better than Dainton with an .890 save percentage (0-2-1).

After their disappointing loss to Army, Cahoon said he might begin taking a different approach when it comes to addressing his players’ mistakes and unacceptable performances.

“I might begin telling succinctly to the [player] who’s making mistakes out there,” Cahoon said. “I’ve been reluctant to do that with this age group; [I want to] keep it to general terms of mistakes [and things like that].”

It’s not surprising that UMass has struggled to open the season. With a young roster and the departures of key veterans, the Minutemen certainly need some time to mesh. A weekend away at New Hampshire would be the perfect time to get a Hockey East win.

“We’ve got the whole season in front of us,” Cahoon said. “If we can get something done this weekend and take some points out of New Hampshire, that’s going to be a step in the right direction towards realizing some success in the league and putting ourselves in a better position to be part of the playoff system.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.