UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Minutewomen add five new recruits

The Massachusetts softball team will have an easier time competing for its 23rd Atlantic 10 Championship while making it back to the NCAA tournament next spring.

Along with the seven freshmen already set to make their debuts this spring for the Minutewomen, UMass coach Elaine Sortino announced the signing of five high school seniors’ National Letters of Intent on Monday in Quianna Diez-Patterson, Allison Kearney, Anna Kelly, Bridget Lemire and Mikayla Panko. Four players hail from Mass., while Panko will bring her talents to the Minutewomen from Illinois in 2015.

Diaz-Peterson, a shortstop and an Amherst native, throws right-handed and is a switch hitter that has excelled for Amherst Regional High School the past three seasons. Last season, she hit .500 with a .573 on-base percentage and was also named the Western Massachusetts Player of the Year by the Springfield Republican, first team All Scholastic by the Republican and Hampshire Gazette and was nominated for the Massachusetts Gatorade Player of the Year.

Kearney, an outfielder who has great speed and a strong bat, missed all but four games last season but has a .478 career batting average with 10 home runs and has not been caught stealing in 35 attempts.

Kelly, a third baseman from Norfolk, Mass. had 27 runs batted in, three home runs and had a .418 batting average in 2010.

Lemire is seen as a versatile player as a pitcher and an infielder and was the captain for St. Peter-Marian High School last season. She went 18-2 with a .95 earned-run average with 155 strikeouts.

Panko, the only out-of-state signee, plays outfield and tied the Benet Academy record for 39 RBI’s last year while posting a .368 batting average and a .632 slugging percentage.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.