Owls blast by Rockets, Musketeers fight off WMU

The Temple men’s basketball team handled Toledo easily, 82-49, for its second win of the season on Saturday. 

All five starters for the No. 22 Owls scored in double-figures, providing a lethal and balanced offensive attack. Micheal Eric led the way with 14 points, nine rebounds and two blocked shots, giving him seven rejections in two games. 

The Owls had 26 assists in the game, with Lavoy Allen dishing six of his own. 

Temple trailed by two early before embarking on a 17-2 run, giving the Owls a 19-6 advantage with 13 minutes left to play in the first half. The game was put out of reach after a 13-0 run later in the half to raise the lead to 25 points. 

Allen and Ramone Moore each contributed 12 points, while Juan Fernandez chipped in with 10 points and five assists. Scootie Randall added 11 points for the Owls, reaching double figures for only the second time in his career.

The second half proved to be more of the same, as Temple’s lead reached 37 points. 

The Owls (2-0) begin the Old Spice Classic on Thanksgiving Day as they take on California. Toledo (0-2) returns to action Friday night against Illinois-Chicago. 

Xavier edges Western Michigan

Tu Holloway lifted the Musketeers with 25 points in a 68-65 nail-biter over Western Michigan on Friday night.

Dante Jackson and Kenny Frease added a lift for the XU offense, providing 17 and 14 points respectively.

WMU relied on Flenard Whitfiled, who scored 15 points on 7-of-17 shooting. 

Xavier jumped out of the gate, grabbing an early 7-0 lead. The Broncos were not to be outdone, as they closed the first half on a 16-7 run to give them a nine-point advantage. 

The game went back and forth in the second half. The Musketeers mounted a 14-2 run to give them a six-point lead with four minutes to play. Western Michigan would not go down without a fight as Whitfield hit a three-pointer as the shot clock expired to tie the game with less than two minutes remaining in the game. 

Xavier reclaimed its lead after Holloway knocked down a shot from long range (1-of-4 in the game) and Frease cashed in on a layup. 

After the Broncos cut the lead to one, Mark Lyons and Holloway knocked in a pair of free throws to raise the lead to three with two seconds on the clock.

Western Michigan’s desperation attempt for the tie rimmed out as the clock expired. 

XU (1-0) resumes play on Tuesday night against Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne while WMU (0-1) waits until Saturday for its showdown with Loyola-Chicago.

Duquesne rolls over Bluefield State

Duquesne’s balanced offensive attack proved to be too much for Bluefield State, as the Dukes stomped the Big Blues, 110-67. 

B.J. Monteiro and Rodrigo Peggau produced their first double-doubles, as they overwhelmed the undermanned and overmatched Bluefield State team. 

Freshman Mike Talley cashed in five three-pointers in his debut, ending the game with 17 points. The Dukes were 16-of-39 (41 percent) from behind the arc on the night. 

The Dukes pounded the Big Blues, opening a 50-24 lead at halftime. 

Julius Lang was the only spark for Bluefield State, leading the team with 22 points. 

DU had a noticeable advantage on the boards, outrebounding their opponents 54-26, including a 24-2 advantage in second-chance opportunities. Peggau led the Dukes with 12 rebounds (a career-high) along with Monteiro, who grabbed 10 boards of his own. 

Duquesne’s 110-point effort is its highest point total in a game since setting a school record on Nov. 9, 2007 with 129 in a win over Howard.   

The Dukes (1-0) travel to play Robert Morris on Friday while Bluefield State (0-2) is welcomed by Charleston on Wednesday. 

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected].