UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Hofstra on Senior Night, 11-6 -

Saturday, April 19, 2014

VIDEO: UMass United Rally in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Minutemen looking to continue momentum against Sacred Heart

Maria Uminski, Collegian Staff

Heading into its second game of the year, the Massachusetts men’s basketball team is still riding high from its win in the season opener.

UMass rallied from a 22-point hole early in the second half to defeat Rider, 77-67. Senior Anthony Gurley led the assault with a career-high 31 points, the most by a Minutemen player in a season debut since Marcus Camby tallied 32 against Kentucky in the 1995-96 opener.

While UMass coach Derek Kellogg wasn’t expecting the comeback, he was impressed with how his players stormed back to earn a hard-fought victory.

“That’s what I’ve been preaching since I’ve been here,” Kellogg said. “Sometimes you’re not going to play your best but you’re going to find a way to win or you’re going to claw your way back into games. That’s the first time we’ve done that and finished it off since I’ve been in the coach here.”

Standing in the way of the Minutemen being 2-0 for the first time since 2007 is opponent Sacred Heart, which will travel to the Mullins Center on Wednesday.

UMass has never faced the Pioneers, who are 0-2 to begin the year, dropping their home opener against Fairfield and their road tilt to Fordham.

The Rams held Sacred Heart to 51 points, which was a season-high for the Pioneers. Fordham shot 55.6 percent from the field in the second half and pulled away on a 13-2 run en route to the 69-51 victory.

Sophomore Shane Bison led Sacred Heart in the loss, scoring 11 points and pulling down five rebounds.

“They’re a young team, they have a senior point guard and a couple guys that are seniors, but they’re a young team that’s going through some growing pains right now,” Kellogg said. “I’m hoping that they’re a little tired, the guys are starting to get worn down a little bit mentally.”

Heading into the matchup with the Pioneers, Kellogg is planning on using the same starting lineup, but mixing in guys who played well in the season opener.

“Well, there were some guys that earned playing time that up until that point, probably weren’t going to play a ton,” Kellogg said. “The one guy is Matt Hill. I thought he came in and gave us a huge boost in the second half.”

Hill was inserted to provide more defense and mobility against Broncs forward Mike Ringgold in the second half, who despite scoring 21 points, did most of his damage in the first half.

Against Sacred Heart and the rest of the teams on its schedule, UMass knows it can’t put itself in a hole like that again by struggling on the defensive end of the court.

Kellogg, however, was pleased to see his players showing signs of improvement in the first game.

“The defense has been better,” Kellogg said. “I thought all-in-all, the guys looked like they know where they’re supposed to be, the intensity is a little better. The rebounding is still isn’t where it needs to be for us to be a big-time college basketball team.”

Last season, the Minutemen ranked 12th out of 14 teams in the Atlantic 10 in scoring defense, allowing 74.9 points per game.

The contest between UMass and Sacred Heart will tipoff at 7 p.m. at the Mullins Center.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.