Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

Student support praised by Kellogg

Maria Uminski, Collegian Staff

On the surface, the Massachusetts men’s basketball team completed a 34-point swing to defeat Rider in its home opener.

What was the catalyst for the Minutemen revolutionary comeback? According to UMass coach Derek Kellogg, it was the will of the Maroon and White faithful.

“The reason why we won was the energy that was in the building the night,” Kellogg said. “It was electric; we turned off the lights before the game. I appreciate the students that came out and supported this team.”

The Minutemen graced their home court with a home victory already under their belt when they defeated Brandeis in an exhibition game, despite the lack of student participation in that game.

In the second game of the season, UMass and its players are searching for a stronger effort from Minutemen supporters when it takes on Sacred Heart on Wednesday.

“I’m thinking [Sacred Heart’s] going to come into an environment in a place like the Mullins and be impressed by what we have here,” Kellogg said.

The game against the Broncs featured 3,784 UMass fans piling into the arena. While the Mullins Center wasn’t anywhere near full capacity, the energy from UMass fans was enough to will the team to success, according to Kellogg.

“I thought the atmosphere before the game and all the way up until the half was a big-time college atmosphere,” Kellogg said. “We had somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 students and they were cheering. I mean one of the reasons we won that game was because of the student involvement.”

For Wednesday’s game, the Minutemen coaching staff is hoping for just as big of a crowd to help keep the wins coming.

“I’m just hoping they’re going to come,” Kellogg said. “The people that came on Friday will come on Wednesday and realize that this is a fun atmosphere. It’s a great place to spend an evening and this is a fun group to watch, good guys that are playing hard and competing.”

As the season continues forward past the game against Sacred Heart, the Minutemen will travel over the weekend to Springfield, where they will compete against Sacred Heart and New Mexico State. Kellogg’s continual recruitment of fans also applies to these games.

“And why not take the 30-minute ride down to Springfield, maybe even go out in the city for night and have a good time,” Kellogg said. “It almost has to be an event where the kids come and enjoy themselves; they feel [like] a part of the program and the team.”

Whether it’s Springfield, the Mullins Center or way out in Boston, UMass wants the fan base to remain strong as a testament to the students and the university.

“We’re trying to do everything we can as a coaching staff, a program, an athletic team and a university to let the students know that this is their team, this is their program,” Kellogg said. “We need you involved, we want you involved, come by practice, come by the games, whatever you need we’re here for you.”

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.