UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Irish coffee recipe -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

To fight ISIS, US must understand them, not chalk up actions to pure evil -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass tennis is reloading, not rebuilding in 2014 -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fast food workers need more than $7.25 to sustain basic living -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass men’s cross country season-opening meet -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

UMass hosts lecture series focused on inequality -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Ben Roethlisberger: Whipple taught me how to be a pro -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

U2 falls flat on “Songs of Innocence” -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Recovering from anorexia on a health-obsessed campus -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Bowling Green achieves upset win, Northern Illinois remains unbeaten -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

UMass grad student spends summer building sustainable homes -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Versatility of Rodney Mills an effective tool for UMass -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Jhené Aiko stays strong on “Souled Out” -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Campus Perspective: New Blue Wall -

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Student support praised by Kellogg

Maria Uminski, Collegian Staff

On the surface, the Massachusetts men’s basketball team completed a 34-point swing to defeat Rider in its home opener.

What was the catalyst for the Minutemen revolutionary comeback? According to UMass coach Derek Kellogg, it was the will of the Maroon and White faithful.

“The reason why we won was the energy that was in the building the night,” Kellogg said. “It was electric; we turned off the lights before the game. I appreciate the students that came out and supported this team.”

The Minutemen graced their home court with a home victory already under their belt when they defeated Brandeis in an exhibition game, despite the lack of student participation in that game.

In the second game of the season, UMass and its players are searching for a stronger effort from Minutemen supporters when it takes on Sacred Heart on Wednesday.

“I’m thinking [Sacred Heart’s] going to come into an environment in a place like the Mullins and be impressed by what we have here,” Kellogg said.

The game against the Broncs featured 3,784 UMass fans piling into the arena. While the Mullins Center wasn’t anywhere near full capacity, the energy from UMass fans was enough to will the team to success, according to Kellogg.

“I thought the atmosphere before the game and all the way up until the half was a big-time college atmosphere,” Kellogg said. “We had somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 students and they were cheering. I mean one of the reasons we won that game was because of the student involvement.”

For Wednesday’s game, the Minutemen coaching staff is hoping for just as big of a crowd to help keep the wins coming.

“I’m just hoping they’re going to come,” Kellogg said. “The people that came on Friday will come on Wednesday and realize that this is a fun atmosphere. It’s a great place to spend an evening and this is a fun group to watch, good guys that are playing hard and competing.”

As the season continues forward past the game against Sacred Heart, the Minutemen will travel over the weekend to Springfield, where they will compete against Sacred Heart and New Mexico State. Kellogg’s continual recruitment of fans also applies to these games.

“And why not take the 30-minute ride down to Springfield, maybe even go out in the city for night and have a good time,” Kellogg said. “It almost has to be an event where the kids come and enjoy themselves; they feel [like] a part of the program and the team.”

Whether it’s Springfield, the Mullins Center or way out in Boston, UMass wants the fan base to remain strong as a testament to the students and the university.

“We’re trying to do everything we can as a coaching staff, a program, an athletic team and a university to let the students know that this is their team, this is their program,” Kellogg said. “We need you involved, we want you involved, come by practice, come by the games, whatever you need we’re here for you.”

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.