BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Massachusetts women’s basketball head coach Sharon Dawley has announced two player signings in less than a week, adding Emily Mital and Ronni Grandison to her list of recruits, according to UMass Athletics.

The Minutewomen already have a strong core of outside shooters, something that Dawley is stressing this season. With her new recruiting class, she has added two more players who can contribute from beyond the arc.

Mital, a senior from Frisco, Texas, has signed a national letter of intent to join the Class of 2015 and play basketball for the Minutewomen. She stands at 5-foot-8 and has been a four-year captain and starter for Frisco High School.

Mital has led the Liberty in scoring in each season, taking the team to the Texas playoffs in her freshman and sophomore years.

“Emily comes to us from Texas,” Dawley said. “Again, [she is] a great 3-point shooter, and a really tough-nosed guard. She’s primarily a [shooting guard], but can back up at the [point guard] spot.”

Mital was named to the 2010-11 Texas Basketball Magazine Pre-Season All-State Team, and is widely recognized to be one of the most dangerous 3-point threats in the state. Last season alone, Mital tallied 82 treys and averaged 17.0 points per game and 4.8 rebounds per game. She also recorded 2.2 steals per game and 3.1 assists per game as well.

She has been named to numerous all-tournament teams in high school and has been recognized as the second-best free throw shooter over the past two seasons. Mital currently holds the school’s record for total points, career and season scoring average, 2-pointers, 3-pointers, free throws, assists and points in a single game.

Mital is also a three-time academic all-district player, and earned a roster spot on the All-Colin County third string team because of it.

“[She is] a very smart player – very intense – and I like the way she gets after it on the defensive end,” Dawley said. “We’re very excited about her.”

Grandison will attend UMass next fall after she graduates from Lakota West High School in West Chester, Ohio. She is a 5-foot-10 small forward who Dawley envisions as an immediate help to the Minutewomen.
“We’re very excited that Grandison is coming our way,” Dawley said. “She’s an unbelievably skilled player who can play multiple positions for us. She’s going to be able to jump in right away and help us in a lot of different areas.”

Grandison was named to the Miami Conference second team last season, and was named an all-star for her district. In her junior year she averaged 7.3 points per game and knocked down 40 percent of her 3-point attempts and 75 percent of her free throws.

Her father, Ronnie, played in the NBA for the Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks and Charlotte Hornets.

“She’s got a high basketball IQ, and her dad played for the Celtics,” Dawley said. “How much better can that get?”

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital”
  1. I used to be recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I’m not sure whether or not this submit is written through him as nobody else recognise such targeted approximately my trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!