Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Massachusetts women’s basketball head coach Sharon Dawley has announced two player signings in less than a week, adding Emily Mital and Ronni Grandison to her list of recruits, according to UMass Athletics.

The Minutewomen already have a strong core of outside shooters, something that Dawley is stressing this season. With her new recruiting class, she has added two more players who can contribute from beyond the arc.

Mital, a senior from Frisco, Texas, has signed a national letter of intent to join the Class of 2015 and play basketball for the Minutewomen. She stands at 5-foot-8 and has been a four-year captain and starter for Frisco High School.

Mital has led the Liberty in scoring in each season, taking the team to the Texas playoffs in her freshman and sophomore years.

“Emily comes to us from Texas,” Dawley said. “Again, [she is] a great 3-point shooter, and a really tough-nosed guard. She’s primarily a [shooting guard], but can back up at the [point guard] spot.”

Mital was named to the 2010-11 Texas Basketball Magazine Pre-Season All-State Team, and is widely recognized to be one of the most dangerous 3-point threats in the state. Last season alone, Mital tallied 82 treys and averaged 17.0 points per game and 4.8 rebounds per game. She also recorded 2.2 steals per game and 3.1 assists per game as well.

She has been named to numerous all-tournament teams in high school and has been recognized as the second-best free throw shooter over the past two seasons. Mital currently holds the school’s record for total points, career and season scoring average, 2-pointers, 3-pointers, free throws, assists and points in a single game.

Mital is also a three-time academic all-district player, and earned a roster spot on the All-Colin County third string team because of it.

“[She is] a very smart player – very intense – and I like the way she gets after it on the defensive end,” Dawley said. “We’re very excited about her.”

Grandison will attend UMass next fall after she graduates from Lakota West High School in West Chester, Ohio. She is a 5-foot-10 small forward who Dawley envisions as an immediate help to the Minutewomen.
“We’re very excited that Grandison is coming our way,” Dawley said. “She’s an unbelievably skilled player who can play multiple positions for us. She’s going to be able to jump in right away and help us in a lot of different areas.”

Grandison was named to the Miami Conference second team last season, and was named an all-star for her district. In her junior year she averaged 7.3 points per game and knocked down 40 percent of her 3-point attempts and 75 percent of her free throws.

Her father, Ronnie, played in the NBA for the Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks and Charlotte Hornets.

“She’s got a high basketball IQ, and her dad played for the Celtics,” Dawley said. “How much better can that get?”

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital”
  1. I used to be recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I’m not sure whether or not this submit is written through him as nobody else recognise such targeted approximately my trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!