UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Trio of freshmen leading UMass hockey’s offense early in the season -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A guide to comic collecting in the Pioneer Valley -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Letter: What’s behind the curtains on Birthright trips? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

FBI director’s fear-mongering view of data encryption is off the mark -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass Permaculture Initiative to add three new programs -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Massachusetts women’s basketball head coach Sharon Dawley has announced two player signings in less than a week, adding Emily Mital and Ronni Grandison to her list of recruits, according to UMass Athletics.

The Minutewomen already have a strong core of outside shooters, something that Dawley is stressing this season. With her new recruiting class, she has added two more players who can contribute from beyond the arc.

Mital, a senior from Frisco, Texas, has signed a national letter of intent to join the Class of 2015 and play basketball for the Minutewomen. She stands at 5-foot-8 and has been a four-year captain and starter for Frisco High School.

Mital has led the Liberty in scoring in each season, taking the team to the Texas playoffs in her freshman and sophomore years.

“Emily comes to us from Texas,” Dawley said. “Again, [she is] a great 3-point shooter, and a really tough-nosed guard. She’s primarily a [shooting guard], but can back up at the [point guard] spot.”

Mital was named to the 2010-11 Texas Basketball Magazine Pre-Season All-State Team, and is widely recognized to be one of the most dangerous 3-point threats in the state. Last season alone, Mital tallied 82 treys and averaged 17.0 points per game and 4.8 rebounds per game. She also recorded 2.2 steals per game and 3.1 assists per game as well.

She has been named to numerous all-tournament teams in high school and has been recognized as the second-best free throw shooter over the past two seasons. Mital currently holds the school’s record for total points, career and season scoring average, 2-pointers, 3-pointers, free throws, assists and points in a single game.

Mital is also a three-time academic all-district player, and earned a roster spot on the All-Colin County third string team because of it.

“[She is] a very smart player – very intense – and I like the way she gets after it on the defensive end,” Dawley said. “We’re very excited about her.”

Grandison will attend UMass next fall after she graduates from Lakota West High School in West Chester, Ohio. She is a 5-foot-10 small forward who Dawley envisions as an immediate help to the Minutewomen.
“We’re very excited that Grandison is coming our way,” Dawley said. “She’s an unbelievably skilled player who can play multiple positions for us. She’s going to be able to jump in right away and help us in a lot of different areas.”

Grandison was named to the Miami Conference second team last season, and was named an all-star for her district. In her junior year she averaged 7.3 points per game and knocked down 40 percent of her 3-point attempts and 75 percent of her free throws.

Her father, Ronnie, played in the NBA for the Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks and Charlotte Hornets.

“She’s got a high basketball IQ, and her dad played for the Celtics,” Dawley said. “How much better can that get?”

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital”
  1. I used to be recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I’m not sure whether or not this submit is written through him as nobody else recognise such targeted approximately my trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!