Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Massachusetts women’s basketball head coach Sharon Dawley has announced two player signings in less than a week, adding Emily Mital and Ronni Grandison to her list of recruits, according to UMass Athletics.

The Minutewomen already have a strong core of outside shooters, something that Dawley is stressing this season. With her new recruiting class, she has added two more players who can contribute from beyond the arc.

Mital, a senior from Frisco, Texas, has signed a national letter of intent to join the Class of 2015 and play basketball for the Minutewomen. She stands at 5-foot-8 and has been a four-year captain and starter for Frisco High School.

Mital has led the Liberty in scoring in each season, taking the team to the Texas playoffs in her freshman and sophomore years.

“Emily comes to us from Texas,” Dawley said. “Again, [she is] a great 3-point shooter, and a really tough-nosed guard. She’s primarily a [shooting guard], but can back up at the [point guard] spot.”

Mital was named to the 2010-11 Texas Basketball Magazine Pre-Season All-State Team, and is widely recognized to be one of the most dangerous 3-point threats in the state. Last season alone, Mital tallied 82 treys and averaged 17.0 points per game and 4.8 rebounds per game. She also recorded 2.2 steals per game and 3.1 assists per game as well.

She has been named to numerous all-tournament teams in high school and has been recognized as the second-best free throw shooter over the past two seasons. Mital currently holds the school’s record for total points, career and season scoring average, 2-pointers, 3-pointers, free throws, assists and points in a single game.

Mital is also a three-time academic all-district player, and earned a roster spot on the All-Colin County third string team because of it.

“[She is] a very smart player – very intense – and I like the way she gets after it on the defensive end,” Dawley said. “We’re very excited about her.”

Grandison will attend UMass next fall after she graduates from Lakota West High School in West Chester, Ohio. She is a 5-foot-10 small forward who Dawley envisions as an immediate help to the Minutewomen.
“We’re very excited that Grandison is coming our way,” Dawley said. “She’s an unbelievably skilled player who can play multiple positions for us. She’s going to be able to jump in right away and help us in a lot of different areas.”

Grandison was named to the Miami Conference second team last season, and was named an all-star for her district. In her junior year she averaged 7.3 points per game and knocked down 40 percent of her 3-point attempts and 75 percent of her free throws.

Her father, Ronnie, played in the NBA for the Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks and Charlotte Hornets.

“She’s got a high basketball IQ, and her dad played for the Celtics,” Dawley said. “How much better can that get?”

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital”
  1. I used to be recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I’m not sure whether or not this submit is written through him as nobody else recognise such targeted approximately my trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!