Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella. -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Massachusetts women’s basketball head coach Sharon Dawley has announced two player signings in less than a week, adding Emily Mital and Ronni Grandison to her list of recruits, according to UMass Athletics.

The Minutewomen already have a strong core of outside shooters, something that Dawley is stressing this season. With her new recruiting class, she has added two more players who can contribute from beyond the arc.

Mital, a senior from Frisco, Texas, has signed a national letter of intent to join the Class of 2015 and play basketball for the Minutewomen. She stands at 5-foot-8 and has been a four-year captain and starter for Frisco High School.

Mital has led the Liberty in scoring in each season, taking the team to the Texas playoffs in her freshman and sophomore years.

“Emily comes to us from Texas,” Dawley said. “Again, [she is] a great 3-point shooter, and a really tough-nosed guard. She’s primarily a [shooting guard], but can back up at the [point guard] spot.”

Mital was named to the 2010-11 Texas Basketball Magazine Pre-Season All-State Team, and is widely recognized to be one of the most dangerous 3-point threats in the state. Last season alone, Mital tallied 82 treys and averaged 17.0 points per game and 4.8 rebounds per game. She also recorded 2.2 steals per game and 3.1 assists per game as well.

She has been named to numerous all-tournament teams in high school and has been recognized as the second-best free throw shooter over the past two seasons. Mital currently holds the school’s record for total points, career and season scoring average, 2-pointers, 3-pointers, free throws, assists and points in a single game.

Mital is also a three-time academic all-district player, and earned a roster spot on the All-Colin County third string team because of it.

“[She is] a very smart player – very intense – and I like the way she gets after it on the defensive end,” Dawley said. “We’re very excited about her.”

Grandison will attend UMass next fall after she graduates from Lakota West High School in West Chester, Ohio. She is a 5-foot-10 small forward who Dawley envisions as an immediate help to the Minutewomen.
“We’re very excited that Grandison is coming our way,” Dawley said. “She’s an unbelievably skilled player who can play multiple positions for us. She’s going to be able to jump in right away and help us in a lot of different areas.”

Grandison was named to the Miami Conference second team last season, and was named an all-star for her district. In her junior year she averaged 7.3 points per game and knocked down 40 percent of her 3-point attempts and 75 percent of her free throws.

Her father, Ronnie, played in the NBA for the Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks and Charlotte Hornets.

“She’s got a high basketball IQ, and her dad played for the Celtics,” Dawley said. “How much better can that get?”

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen sign top high school prospect Mital”
  1. I used to be recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I’m not sure whether or not this submit is written through him as nobody else recognise such targeted approximately my trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!