UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Minutemen getting it done differently in post-Harris era

Hannah Cohen/Collegian

One of the main questions for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team as they entered the season was who was going to pick up the 20-point hole that Ricky Harris left town with.

So far into the season, the scoring for the Minutemen has come from many different players.

“It’s hard to predict points,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said.

In the opening game against Rider, senior guard Anthony Gurley got off to a hot start with 31 points, which was to be expected, as many saw him entering a leadership role for the squad.

While Gurley’s 31 was just nearly 20 points more than his average last season, which would account for the missed 20 of Harris, sophomore guard Freddie Riley picked up his game and scored an additional 24 en route to UMass’ 77-67 victory.

On Wednesday against Sacred Heart, it was a similar story, as Gurley once again put on a show to score a team-high 18 points throughout the contest. Once more though, there was someone right beside him with a high amount of points.

This time, sophomore forward Sampson Carter picked up the extra points, scoring 17 on the Pioneers (0-3). The scoring duo of Carter and Gurley earned the team a 73-65 victory and kept UMass undefeated through its first two games.

Even point guard Daryl Traynham, who comes off the bench for the Minutemen, bucketed 11 points while dishing out four assists.

Additionally, junior Matt Hill got a good look during the game against Sacred Heart, adding a career-high six points to the Minutemen tally, which made him the second player that night to break his career-best in scoring.

Against New Mexico State, who historically is not an easy team to beat, UMass will look to add even more scorers to the list as they continue to fill last seasons left-open holes.

“I’d like to really spread it out,” Kellogg said. “We know we need a balanced effect and a balanced attack. We can definitely be a little more balanced.”

A possible player to add to the balance could be the injured Javorn Farrell, who may make his return to the Maroon and White this weekend. While Kellogg did mention that Farrell would help the attacking side of the Minutemen squad, he could not confirm or deny if the Farrell will suit up against the Aggies.

Kellogg also said that he was looking to add some big men down low against NMS, which Kellogg said looks “the best [it] ever has.”

The addition down in the post will come in the form of senior center Hashim Bailey, who Kellogg confirmed would start against New Mexico.

Bailey’s presence will help the Minutemen get some size advantage down low, according to Kellogg, which should open up the lanes for the other players to dump some baskets over New Mexico.

The scorers for UMass will get two opportunities to impress during the Maroon and White’s battles in Springfield. Aside from the Aggies, the Minutemen will take on Texas Christian, which also boasts an undefeated record so far this season.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.