The Deficit Game

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Over the last few months, politicians in Washington D.C. have made a remarkable discovery: The United States has a large – and growing – budget deficit.

While I congratulate them on their observational skills, I can’t help but wonder: Why is the deficit suddenly such a big deal now? It has been growing for 10 years, since Bush became president, and no one seemed to notice or care. Plus, it is not projected to cause major problems for another 20-30 years.

Picking 2010 as the year to tackle the deficit seems completely random. In fact, from an economic point of view, this is probably the worst possible time to try to pay back the deficit. The US economy is in shambles, and it just barely looks like it might be limping towards recovery. The government deciding to reduce the deficit now is like a person deciding she wants to pay back all her college loans right after she lost her job. It makes no sense.

The ideas floating around about how to cut the deficit in the middle of an economic downturn don’t make much sense either. For example, Republicans (and some Democrats) say that we should cut government spending to save money. But then these same politicians are opposed to rolling back the Bush tax cuts on the grounds that such a move would jeopardize the economic recovery. This is self-contradictory, because cutting government spending has the same effect on the economy as raising taxes. Both of them reduce consumption, and therefore reduce aggregate demand.

If you think that raising taxes is a bad move right now, because it might reduce consumption and hurt the recovery, then you should think exactly the same thing about cutting spending, for the exact same reasons. Cutting the wages of government workers, for example, will reduce the total amount of money that ordinary Americans have to spend – which is exactly the same thing that would happen if we raised taxes on the working class. How can you oppose one but support the other?

I can think of only one reason for such seemingly contradictory proposals. None of this is really about reducing the deficit at all. It’s about hitting American workers while they’re down. Letting the Bush tax cuts expire would put the burden of paying the deficit on the rich, because those tax breaks were designed to benefit the rich. Cutting government spending would put the burden on working people – people who rely on government funding to send their kids to college, to pay for Medicare and Social Security and to support them when they can’t find a job thanks to the mess created by Wall Street.

The reason why Republicans and Democrats have decided to start focusing on the deficit now, of all possible times, is because we’ve been hit so hard with unemployment, foreclosures, and general financial troubles, that we are less likely to resist their attempts to transfer more wealth from us to the rich. It may be the worst time to tackle the deficit from an economic point of view, but it’s a great time to do it from the point of view of capitalist political strategy.

By the way, remember what created this deficit problem in the first place? It started with Bush’s tax cuts. At the time, Bush argued that he would actually increase government revenues by cutting taxes, because of some trickle-down theory about how the rich would start more businesses and therefore pay more taxes if we tax them less. That didn’t happen. We got a large hole in the budget instead. Next, there were the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, which, according to CostofWar.com, have cost us over $1,108,000,000,000 (so far).Finally, there were the bailouts passed by both Republicans and Democrats in 2008 and 2009. None of these things were strictly necessary in any way. The deficit problem was created by a bunch of measures we didn’t need, and now Congress wants to fix it by cutting spending on the things we do need.

There is a pattern here, used by the ruling class with great success for a very long time: First, create a problem. Then, demand sacrifices from working people to fix that problem. Repeat as necessary.

Capitalists gambled in the stock market until the whole economy came crashing down, and then they demanded bailouts from us to pay the bill. Now, the bailouts, the Bush tax cuts and the wars have come together to cause another problem – the deficit – and once again we are asked to pay the bill. They’ll keep playing this game as long as they can get away with it.

Mike Tudoreanu is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].