Sex offender community notification

An Amherst man has been determined by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board to be a level-three sex offender, and the Amherst Police Department has issued a notification to the public.

Robert A. Martinez, a 31-year-old man who is currently homeless, has been determined by the board to be an “individual that is at a high risk to reoffend and the degree of dangerousness posed to the pubic is such that a substantial public safety interest is served by active community notification,” as stated in a press release from the Amherst Police Department.

Despite the notice, Martinez is not wanted for any crimes by the Amherst PD.

Martinez was previously convicted on the charges of indecent assault and battery of a person older than 14 in 2005, indecent assault and battery of a person older than 14 in 1999, indecent assault and battery of a child under 14 in 1995, rape and abuse of a child in 1995, and indecent assault and battery of a person older than 14 in 1995.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board reminds all that the Sex Offender Registry information “shall not be used to commit a crime or engage in illegal discrimination or harassment of an offender. Any person who uses information disclosed… for such purposes shall be punished by not more than 2 1/2 years in a house of correction or by a fine of not more than $1,000 or both.”

-Collegian News Staff