Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass extends unbeaten streak with victory in the Cage

Tradition was heavy in the air as the Massachusetts men’s basketball team took the court on Saturday afternoon. The team survived a late scare to defeat in-state opponent Holy Cross, 83-76, in the first UMass game at Curry Hicks Cage since Jan. 29, 1993.

“It was great to be back in the Cage,” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg, who scored the first points in the last game at Curry Hicks Cage before Saturday. “I thought, ‘what a treat for the players to have a really jammed environment.’ It was great to see the Cage rocking and rolling, the band playing and just a lot of old-school memories.”

The crowd was hyped up for the first UMass game in the historic arena in over 17 years.

“That was unbelievable, to walk out there and see the place jam-packed,” Kellogg said. “It was an atmosphere like the last time there was a game [there].”

The Minutemen were paced by senior guard Anthony Gurley, who scored 24 points on a variety of twisting drives to the basket. Gurley also showed off his precise touch from outside, as he went 2-of-2 from beyond the arc en route to another victory.

Sophomore guard Freddie Riley came up big for the Minutemen as well. He provided a spark off the bench, coming up with 17 points, including a 5-of-9 mark from behind the 3-point line. Riley stopped several Holy Cross rallies with big 3-pointers against the Crusaders’ zone defense, including two on consecutive possessions in the first half.

“I probably should have played Riley more,” Kellogg said. “He got on one of those rolls and really gave us a huge boost.”

Riley talked about feeling fired up through his shooting streak.

“Yeah, I do [get fired up],” Riley said. “I try not to get too excited and take bad shots.”

UMass led, 35-29, at the half, and expanded its lead to 24 points before a late Holy Cross charge cut the lead to four points with 1:41 to go. Gurley showed his veteran mettle though, as he came through with a clutch dish to forward Sampson Carter for an easy layup, and then made two clutch free throws to ice the game.

“Holy Cross did a great job,” Kellogg said. “I’m not sure if it was I subbed a few guys in, or I pulled back on the reigns just trying to get the win. It really got my heart going there.”

Gurley also commented on Holy Cross’ run at the end of the game.

“I’m very glad we got the win,” Gurley said. “We thought we had it going, and they kept fighting and made their run.”

The Minutemen started the game off in a full-court press and used its superior length, depth on the bench and athleticism to frustrate the Crusaders.

Every UMass player on the roster played in the game, and together the team forced 19 turnovers and had Holy Cross confused and out of sync. Forward Terrell Vinson was especially important for the Minutemen, as he came up with two steals to lead the team.

Guard Devin Brown was the top performer for Holy Cross. He consistently worked his way to the line and made his free throws, going 11-of-11 from the stripe. Center Andrew Keister was also big for the Crusaders, adding 16 points and 11 rebounds

The Minutemen return to action on Dec. 1, as they square off with the Quinnipiac Bobcats in the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden, Conn., at 7 p.m.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass extends unbeaten streak with victory in the Cage”
  1. Kyle says:

what’s it going to take for more than 10 students to go see this team play?