Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass prof Rick Adrion one of five honored by President Jack Wilson

Courtesy Umass.edu

Years of work over the last decade bringing Massachusetts primary, secondary and post-secondary students computer technology literacy programs paid off yesterday for University of Massachusetts professor Rick Adrion, who Monday received the UMass President’s Award for Public Service from President Jack M. Wilson.

According to a Nov. 29 release from the UMass Office of News and Media Relations, Adrion was rewarded for “his leadership in developing, broadening, expanding and improving computing and information technology activities for students in grades K-12 and at colleges and universities across the Commonwealth.”

The former chair of the Computer Science Department from 1986 to 1994 has, according to the release, “organized countless information technology workshops over the past 10 years and expanded the Commonwealth Information Technology Initiative (CITI) from a college-level-only partnership,” broadening the program, which, according to its website, builds “teams of similar interests to work together to broaden programs, develop new ideas and implement CITI’s vision within the schools and colleges in Massachusetts.”

Adrion also heads up the Commonwealth Alliance for Information Technology Education (CAITE), which seeks to incorporate greater numbers of women and minorities into the information technology sector. The $4 million program, funded by the National Science Foundation, operates at nine community colleges and four UMass campuses. Since 2007, the program has worked with some 15,000 students and educators throughout the state’s education system, with sessions ranging from professional development gatherings for teachers to outreach events.

Current Computer Science Department Chair Andrew Barto said in the release that he believes Adrion has worked long and hard for the recognition.

“This is a very well-deserved honor,” he said. “Throughout his career at UMass Amherst, Rick has worked tirelessly to expand and strengthen computing and information technology opportunities across the Commonwealth and beyond,” he continued. “Rick cares deeply about expanding opportunities for study and work in these fields, and through his role as director of the CAITE and co-director of CITI, he has been able to make crucial contributions.”

According to his own website, Adrion is also founder of the Applied Computing Systems Institute of Massachusetts, a center established to transfer technology initiated at UMass. He was president of the Institute from 1988 to 2000.

President Wilson also recognized four other faculty members from across the UMass system. They are: Dr. Lisa M. Gonsalves, an associate professor in the Curriculum and Instruction Department at UMass Boston; Dr. Marguerite L. Zarrillo, a professor of physics at UMass Dartmouth; Dr. Doreen Arcus, an associate professor of psychology at UMass Lowell; and Dr. Lucy M. Candib, who teaches family medicine and community health at UMass Medical School in Worcester.

In a Monday release from UMass system spokesman Robert Connolly, President Wilson said the awards serve as an opportunity to single out the contributions of individual members of the University community, which he said often go overlooked in the bigger picture.

“As a public university, the University of Massachusetts has a three-fold mission of education, research and public service,” he said. “Our educational and research efforts win many plaudits, and deservedly so,” he continued, “but it is probably the case that we do not hear enough about the public service contribution that the University makes to the Commonwealth and its citizens. So, this is a day to make it known that we take our public service mission very seriously, and that we have distinguished faculty members who are working hard and are making a difference in the lives of so many people.”

According to the release, the five professors received their awards at a luncheon at the University of Massachusetts Club in Boston.

Sam Butterfield can be reached at sbutterfield@dailycollegian.com.

You must be logged in to post a comment.