“Danger Days” a dangerous, but rewarding Endeavor

“Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys” was almost an album that never saw the light of day, especially with what My Chemical Romance has endured within the four years since the release of “The Black Parade.”

Despite the departure of drummer Bob Bryar and the scrapping of another album halfway through production, the band managed to finish strong with a musical evolution that will leave fans and newcomers alike with a redefined and nearly-mastered sound.

The album follows the lives of a gang of vigilantes in California in the year 2019, as the Killjoys fight against Better Living Industries (BL/Ind) in a 14–track compilation that ranges from power ballads to soft melodies to dancefloor tunes.

The conceptual album is a credit to the creativity and mastery of MCR, which has managed to incorporate a unique enough story with enough content and motivation to propel it forward through song.

In the opening track, “Look Alive, Sunshine,” Dr. Death Defying, the Killjoys’ radio guide, opens up with a speech into the explosive track “Na Na Na,” which perfectly encompasses the high energy that is to come in the remainder of the album.

Abound with intensity, the tracks come one after another with fast riffs, tight rhythm and harmonies, only letting itself down a couple of times for a quick chance to breathe. There is real material among almost every song, and each one builds up heavily into an explosive conclusion, until the next one sets up seconds later.

In fact, there is strong potential for almost every song to be a hit single, except the small interjections from Dr. Death Defying. MCR has really taken what they have learned from “The Black Parade” their previous album, and tightened up any sloppy parts that make the final result and the production value stand out exceptionally.

This album practically demands to be played loud and proud while driving down a long strip of highway, and it’s also going to make one hell of a show live in concert. This is music that is going to get stuck in your head or put on repeat for many hours, and you will not have a problem with it.

There’s only one disappointing track among the many, “The Kids From Yesterday,” which serves as the last song of the Killjoys’ story before the exit from Dr. Death Defying. It doesn’t stand up to what the rest of the album is. Instead of offering a dynamic conclusion, it seems relatively empty as far as the music from previous tracks.

Of course, actually following the story is somewhat difficult, since the lyrics aren’t clear-cut in certain contexts, but it’s still one hell of a ride. The music videos offer some insight and some visual aid to the concept, but in the end, it’s more about having fun and celebrating music than taking apart the story piece by piece – a concept the Killjoys would agree with.

It’s not perfect by any means though. Sometimes Gerard Way’s vocals can be shaky to the point where the song just isn’t that pleasant to listen to, but this only seems to be the case in the track “Vampire Money.”

It’s not the sound that fans of MCR will be used to, and those who were quick to label the band as “emo” with previous albums may have to take some careful reconsideration. “Danger Days” is not the dark and depressing music that the past two or even three albums have had to offer.

Those who are feeling relatively ambitious can look into the “California 2019” edition, which is averaged around $70. It includes one colored mask and matching gun held by the band’s respective Killjoy persona, a special three-track EP, a 48-page art book titled “Art is the Weapon,” a wooden bracelet and a nifty box to keep it all in. This one’s strictly for the fans.

Whether you’re a long time fan, or someone looking for an exceptionally solid rock album, this album will do no wrong. “Danger Days” crosses into dangerous territory, but in the end, comes out the other side with just a few scratches.

Tim Jones can be reached at [email protected].