Lebron Returns to the Scene of the Crime

Image courtesy of Netcees.com

Thursday night’s matchup between the visiting Miami Heat and the Cleveland Cavaliers is arguably the most anticipated regular season game in recent history.  However it has nothing to do with records or playoff implications.

For Cleveland, it’s all about the man daunting the No. 6 in the visiting black and red: Lebron James; the same man who wore the No. 23 for the Cavaliers for seven years, promising to bring a championship to the city he loved so dearly.

However, Cleveland fans no longer find themselves praising “King James”.  Rather, they hate their former hero, as James packed his bags to join his friends, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, in Miami, leaving his hometown team for good.

For Cleveland fans, this game is personal.

All the frustration and anger they have expressed since James’ departure will be put on display in front of a national audience, as TNT will be broadcasting the game.

Looking for a preview of Thursday’s madness?  Take a look back to July 28, when a man sported James’ Miami Heat jersey at a Cleveland Indians game.  The home crowd reacted with rage, chanting obscenities and confronting the young man.  He and his female companion had to be escorted out of Progressive Field by security.

What sort of chants and signs will await Lebron as he returns to Cleveland?  Will there be any sign of appreciation for his seven years with the franchise?  Doubtful.

“I’m ready for whatever response I get,” said James according to a Hoopsworld.com story.  “It’s going to be very emotional.  I give a lot of thanks to that city, a lot of thanks to those fans for giving me the opportunity to not only showcase my talent, but to grow from a young boy to a man during my seven years.  So it’s going to be very emotionally draining.  I can already tell.”

Then there’s Cavalier’s owner Dan Gilbert, who publically ridiculed James’ departure from Cleveland in a letter to addressed to all Cavaliers fans.  He referred to James’ exit as “cowardly betrayal”, assuring fans that they “deserve so much more.”

And then Gilbert made a bold statement that was heard around the sporting world:

“I personally guarantee that the Cleveland Cavaliers will win an NBA championship before the self-titled former ‘King’ wins one.”

Does Lebron deserve the animosity headed his way on Thursday night?  Was he right to leave Cleveland and chase rings down in South Beach with Wade and Bosh?

And perhaps the most compelling question: What will be the response if the Cavaliers defeat the Heat.

One thing’s for certain, security guards will be on their toes throughout the contest, with James assuming the role of Public Enemy No. 1.

So Lebron, what should you do?

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected].