Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

TD Garden resonates for Kellogg, Minutemen

When the Massachusetts men’s basketball team defeated a high-profile team in Memphis at the TD Garden last season, it turned heads both locally and nationally. If the Minutemen can remain undefeated after Saturday night’s contest against Boston College at the Garden, they can expect much of the same.

“Anytime you play an ACC team, whether its home or on the road, that’s a big win, it’s a tough game,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “So to come down there and come away with a victory it would wake up fans in the Western Mass. area to say, ‘You know what, they’re doing good things up there at UMass and maybe we can come out and check those guys out or go watch them play.’”

The venue on Saturday will be unlike any of the six games UMass has played at the Mullins Center this season or the lone road contest it played in Connecticut against Quinnipiac on Wednesday.

Kellogg believes his young team will be ready for the challenge, if not for the magnitude of the game than for the opportunity to defend its undefeated record.

“If you’re a player, how could you not be ready to play in an NBA arena against an ACC opponent in the capital of our state and the state school?” Kellogg said. “So I think our guys should be ready, but you never know with young kids.”

Despite being an even younger squad last year, the Minutemen pulled off an upset against the Tigers at the Garden on a last-second win.

Then-freshman Terrell Vinson scored a basket in the lane with 0.7 seconds remaining in the game, giving UMass the 73-72 win. Vinson scored a team-high 21 points and grabbed a game-high nine rebounds to lead the Minutemen.

Former guard Ricky Harris hit two free throws with 46.8 seconds left and UMass earned a defensive stop on the other end to get the possession back with 3.8 seconds remaining on the clock.

Kellogg is excited once again to play in the Garden this season and hopes that the Eagles will return the favor by traveling to Amherst for a game in the future.

“Going to Boston and the surrounding area, it’s nice to actually get a game down there and bring our program, our team and our university to them so that maybe they reciprocate and come down to the Mullins Center,” Kellogg said.

UMass has a history of success at the Garden, defeating BC, 65-57, in the first-ever college basketball game at the arena on Dec. 9, 1995 in the first Commonwealth Classic before a sellout crowd of 18,974.

The Minutemen have since won three more Commonwealth Classic games, including two against the Eagles and last year’s victory over Memphis.

According to Kellogg, he’s tossed around the idea of having a basketball version of the Beanpot, though it’s unofficial at this point.

“Nothing’s been finalized or formalized, but at the same token, at least it’s out there finally,” Kellogg said. “You have a bunch of guys who care about the schools that they’re at. They’re interested in being at that place, they really want to see Massachusetts basketball or basketball in the New England area really put in the forefront.”

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.