Xavier off to best start in school history

After starting 6-0 in non-conference play, the No. 4 Xavier women’s basketball team played host to Southern California and traveled across town to face off against in-state rival Cincinnati last week, which proved to be even competition for the Musketeers.

XU continued its undefeated season with victories in both contests, winning in the late seconds to knock off the Trojans, 69-66, on Thursday, and then taking home the Kendle Cup for another season by defeating the Bearcats, 69-61, on Sunday.

The victories improved the Musketeers’ record to 8-0, which is their best start in school history.

Last season’s Atlantic 10 Player of the Year, forward Amber Harris, was a constant force, recording a double-double in each game.

The senior scored 28 points and grabbed 14 rebounds against USC, and poured in 20 points while notching 12 rebounds to lead Xavier past Cincinnati.

Harris and the Musketeers will seek to continue their historic start to the season this Thursday when they hit the road to take on Middle Tennessee State.

Jabir cements legacy

In the midst of a three-game winning streak last week, Dayton was home to a historic set of accomplishments.

Junior Justine Raterman tallied the 1,000th point of her career in the Flyers’ 91-61 win on Monday night over Wright State. Raterman scored a game-high 26 points, including going 4-for-6 from 3-point range to help UD to victory.

After a 70-59 victory on Thursday night, head coach Jim Jabir was one game away from being the all-time winningest coach in Flyers history.

History was made on Sunday, as UD took down Toledo, 102-69, to make Jabir the all-time winningest coach in school history, setting the mark at 120. This is one more than Linda Makowski, who previously held the record at 119 wins when she coached from 1980-86.

The wins improved the Flyers’ record to 5-3 on the season and into a tie for fourth-place with St. Bonaventure in the A-10 standings which is based currently on overall records.

UD will look to improve its winning streak in its lone game of the week at Louisville this Saturday night.

UConn keeps streaking

Connecticut extended its winning streak to 86 games on Sunday, routing Sacred Heart 86-32 in front of 10,223 at the XL Center.

The extension of the 86-game win streak was not the only record to be broken on the afternoon, as senior Maya Moore netted the 2,347th point of her career, breaking the program record of all-time points previously held by Tina Charles.

Moore scored 17 points for the game on 8-for-9 shooting, and also recorded seven rebounds and five assists to catapult the Huskies to victory and an 8-0 start to the season.

The game marked the 33rd time during the 86-game streak that UConn scored more points in the first half than its opponent did in the entire game. The Huskies scored 57 points in the first frame, while the Pioneers mustered 32 points for the whole game.

UConn will look to improve its winning streak to 87 games when it hosts Marquette this Thursday at Gampel Pavilion in the Huskies’ Big East home opener.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected].