Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Minutemen trying to improve foul trouble

Jeff Bernstein, Collegian Staff

Fouls are a double-edged sword for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team.

The Minutemen (7-1) not only squander from their own difficulties at the free throw line, but also give up a slew of fouls to the opposition.

“Yeah I think that’s what we’re going to work on, trying to not foul as much,” guard Anthony Gurley said. “We’ve been very aggressive on the defensive end which sometimes causes us to foul. We’ve definitely got to work on not putting the other team at the line. That’s what hurt us in the past two games.”

Through the first eight games of the season, UMass has committed 173 fouls. Center Hashim Bailey is at the head with 23 personals.

Against Boston College last Saturday, the Mintuemen played aggressively. The team committed 24 fouls and guard Javorn Farrell fouled out of the game after his team-leading fifth personal.

Playing aggressively fits right into the direction that UMass coach Derek Kellogg is looking to send the Mintuemen, and he continues to push the team to play tougher.

“I don’t want to get away from what’s made us successful this year,” Kellogg said. “I want my team to be aggressive and people to say that they’re up on you and play hard and play tough.”

Kellogg offered more praise to his team’s standoffish nature by comparing it to previous UMass teams that did not play in a similar fashion.

“It’s better than it’s been in the past where your guys are kind of matadors on defense and not pressuring the ball and letting teams shoot layups,” Kellogg said. “I rather have it be where they’re a little rougher and tougher.”

“We’ve done a nice job of getting it to a certain point,” Kellogg said. “Now, can you do that without hacking, reaching and putting them to the free throw line on a consistent basis?”

These fouls and hard-hitting plays hurt the Minutemen down the stretch in terms of giving up points, as the Eagles (7-2) went 19-for-24 from the free throw line. The 19 made shots more than doubled the Minutemen total from the charity stripe of 8-for-14.

“We just can’t get outscored by 15 points from the free throw line every game; that’s not conducive to championship basketball,” Kellogg said.

“I thought what hurt us more than anything was we put them to the free throw line 24 times,” continued Kellogg. “And a lot of them were at places on the floor, where, why would you do that when the guy’s going away from the basket at half court? Why would you reach in and put the guy to the free throw line?”

Gurley struggled from the line, going 2-for-4, which included a pair of shots that, if made, would have put UMass ahead of BC and completed the comeback.

“I don’t try to miss free throws,” Gurley said. “It’s just one of those things, it’s in and out. We’ll try to knock them down next game.”

Farrell also struggled from the line, going 2-for-5 which included a missed attempt on an and-one situation which would have brought the Minutemen within one point of the Eagles.

Despite these missed key shots, Kellogg explained that free throws weren’t the only issue that the teams suffered at the TD Garden.

“We’ve missed a lot of easy shots throughout the game, whether it’s the free throws, the different jumpers,” Kellogg said. “I don’t think you can zero-in on just the free throws.”

Still, the third-year coach sees the Minutemen calming down on the aggressiveness and not fouling as hard during the rest of the season.

“There’s got to be a happy medium, and we’ll get there,” Kellogg said.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@studnet.umass.edu.