SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Shooting woes plague Minutemen against Black Bears

It was as if there wasn’t a basket for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team to score on Wednesday night.

“I thought our offense was terrible,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “I don’t remember a team as a player, a coach, a high school kid, whatever it might be, missing so many two-on-[zero]’s, three-on-ones, three-on-two’s, whatever it might be.”

The Minutemen (7-2) went 18-of-61 from the field, which included 5-for-25 shooting from beyond the arc in a 68-56 loss to the Black Bears. Including the loss to Boston College last Saturday, UMass has gone 8-for-41 from the 3-point line in its last two contests.

Normally a top offensive performer, redshirt senior Anthony Gurley (12 points) couldn’t find a way to convert on the floor either, as he went 4-for-16 from the field and 2-for-9 from the perimeter.

From all ends of the floor, the Minutemen couldn’t find a way to put the ball into the hoop, which could be seen from poor shot selection taken by the UMass players.

Offensive possessions and Maine’s zone-defense did not open any lanes for the Minutemen to slash into, which forced them to take tough shots that did not result in baskets.

“We’re waiting for the zone to set up too much.” Kellogg said. “The best way to beat a zone is to beat it down the floor, get the ball moving and attack. Because we didn’t get any stops tonight and didn’t get into a flow I don’t think we ever got into the right flow against the zone.”

The defensive pressure by the Black Bears stopped the Minutemen from having an inside presence as well.

“Well it’d be nice if we could throw the ball inside and in the post and scored a bit but I’m not sure if we’re afforded that luxury,” Kellogg said.

Despite the packed paint, the Minutemen continued to pass the ball inside, though it did little, as the Maroon and White failed to convert.

“I heard the coach, he’s yelling, ‘pack it in, just pack it in, stand in the middle of the paint and make them shoot,’” Kellogg said. “And shot we did, 5-for-25 from 3, and the ball was going to the middle of zone quite frequently and we just didn’t convert. Whether it was Javorn [Farrell], Terrell Vinson, Sampson [Carter], none of those guys were able to convert.”

With the main scorers for UMass plagued by sloppy play, the bench had to pick up the efforts on the offensive side and accounted for 26 of the Minutemen’s 56 points.

On several occasions throughout the game, the Minutemen had open opportunities that they could have scored on but failed to do so. Off a clean steal, guard Daryl Traynham soared to the hoop for an open layup which bounced off the rim and away from the hoop.

“It’s something that’s been kind of havoc for them because against Boston College, we missed five or six layups,” Kellogg said. “I mean I’m talking layups, and tonight it might have been 12.”

Freddie Riley, who is typically a danger from beyond the arc and can change games with straight-shooting, failed to even make a dent in the Minutemen score sheet, as he went 2-for-10 from the field, going 1-for-8 from 3-point range.

“I thought most of our 3’s were pretty good shots, and it looks like we have the right guys shooting them,” Kellogg said. “But when Anthony and Freddie go 3-for-17 and those are your scorers, that’s tough to overcome, I don’t care who you’re playing.”

“No balls went in,” Kellogg continued. “I mean we got some good shots in the first half especially. I thought we could have been up 10, 12, 14 points when we continue[d] to squander opportunities.”

Farrell shot well compared to starters, shooting 33 percent from the field to earn his six points. Though compared to his recent scoring surge, Farrell’s points were nearly invisible.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.