Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Shooting woes plague Minutemen against Black Bears

It was as if there wasn’t a basket for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team to score on Wednesday night.

“I thought our offense was terrible,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “I don’t remember a team as a player, a coach, a high school kid, whatever it might be, missing so many two-on-[zero]’s, three-on-ones, three-on-two’s, whatever it might be.”

The Minutemen (7-2) went 18-of-61 from the field, which included 5-for-25 shooting from beyond the arc in a 68-56 loss to the Black Bears. Including the loss to Boston College last Saturday, UMass has gone 8-for-41 from the 3-point line in its last two contests.

Normally a top offensive performer, redshirt senior Anthony Gurley (12 points) couldn’t find a way to convert on the floor either, as he went 4-for-16 from the field and 2-for-9 from the perimeter.

From all ends of the floor, the Minutemen couldn’t find a way to put the ball into the hoop, which could be seen from poor shot selection taken by the UMass players.

Offensive possessions and Maine’s zone-defense did not open any lanes for the Minutemen to slash into, which forced them to take tough shots that did not result in baskets.

“We’re waiting for the zone to set up too much.” Kellogg said. “The best way to beat a zone is to beat it down the floor, get the ball moving and attack. Because we didn’t get any stops tonight and didn’t get into a flow I don’t think we ever got into the right flow against the zone.”

The defensive pressure by the Black Bears stopped the Minutemen from having an inside presence as well.

“Well it’d be nice if we could throw the ball inside and in the post and scored a bit but I’m not sure if we’re afforded that luxury,” Kellogg said.

Despite the packed paint, the Minutemen continued to pass the ball inside, though it did little, as the Maroon and White failed to convert.

“I heard the coach, he’s yelling, ‘pack it in, just pack it in, stand in the middle of the paint and make them shoot,’” Kellogg said. “And shot we did, 5-for-25 from 3, and the ball was going to the middle of zone quite frequently and we just didn’t convert. Whether it was Javorn [Farrell], Terrell Vinson, Sampson [Carter], none of those guys were able to convert.”

With the main scorers for UMass plagued by sloppy play, the bench had to pick up the efforts on the offensive side and accounted for 26 of the Minutemen’s 56 points.

On several occasions throughout the game, the Minutemen had open opportunities that they could have scored on but failed to do so. Off a clean steal, guard Daryl Traynham soared to the hoop for an open layup which bounced off the rim and away from the hoop.

“It’s something that’s been kind of havoc for them because against Boston College, we missed five or six layups,” Kellogg said. “I mean I’m talking layups, and tonight it might have been 12.”

Freddie Riley, who is typically a danger from beyond the arc and can change games with straight-shooting, failed to even make a dent in the Minutemen score sheet, as he went 2-for-10 from the field, going 1-for-8 from 3-point range.

“I thought most of our 3’s were pretty good shots, and it looks like we have the right guys shooting them,” Kellogg said. “But when Anthony and Freddie go 3-for-17 and those are your scorers, that’s tough to overcome, I don’t care who you’re playing.”

“No balls went in,” Kellogg continued. “I mean we got some good shots in the first half especially. I thought we could have been up 10, 12, 14 points when we continue[d] to squander opportunities.”

Farrell shot well compared to starters, shooting 33 percent from the field to earn his six points. Though compared to his recent scoring surge, Farrell’s points were nearly invisible.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.