UMass football promotes Liam Coen, Spencer Whipple to co-passing game coordinators -

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

UMass alumni partner with current students in sports management class

Courtesy Lat34.org

Though snow has yet to accumulate on the ground here on the University of Massachusetts campus, the students of the DewMass class, a sports management class that focuses on promoting the Winter Dew Tour, are anticipating another good winter and another good session with the Winter Dew Tour.

Alli Sports, which is led by CEO Wade Martin, a UMass Alumnus, partners with this class every year to give them sport management skills they will need to pursue careers in those respective fields. Through the program, Alli Sports has hired several other UMass Alumni, who continue the cycle with each upcoming class.

Professor Mark McDonald said his class gives students real experience and is beneficial for their future careers.

“[The students] get a complete understanding of sport event marketing through this class, and by serving essentially as a marketing agency working with Alli out of Chicago,” he said.

Students who wish to be part of the six-credit class must submit an application and a resume in the spring semester. Once accepted, the students involved then work with Alli Sports and their media campaign to help promote and advertise the Winter Dew Tour.
CEO Wade Martin said he is proud to have this partnership.

“I feel good about it because this is a mutually beneficial thing,” he said. “It really helps them in the long run.”

Martin said that the Vermont stop of the Winter Dew Tour was the most successful one last year.

Shawn Smith, UMass Alum and previous graduate of the class, is now employed by Alli Sports and said that he values the class very much.

“Being here also makes me appreciate everything I learned in the experiential learning classes,” he said. “I’ll vouch for the fact that the things students learn in those classes are very applicable to the real world,” he added.

Smith currently works on technical support, including keeping Alli Sports’ social networking sites up to date, as well as most other aspects of their social media.

He said his job there resulted from his work in the DewMass class, which eventually turned into an internship with Alli Sports, which turned into his current position.
McDonald is grateful to the opportunities he feels his students have.

“Without the support of Wade Martin, President of Alli, this class would not be possible,” he said. “Our alums at Alli are also creating internship opportunities for our students.”
Smith added that there is a bond among the Alumni at Alli Sports which helps to make the experience more rewarding.

“A lot of us overlapped when we were there, even if we didn’t know each other, so it’s pretty cool to have that common bond,” he said.

“Everyone’s great, but it really helps make it feel even more inviting when you get to work with so many of your former peers. I’d say there absolutely is a bond between alumni,” he added.

Martin finished his interview on a positive note.

“We’re really excited about the program because there is great opportunity to work with some really talented students here,” he said.

The DewMass class will be hosting a tent with a snow tube bowling competition at the Metawampe Stompe Rail Jam this Friday in an attempt to build awareness for the upcoming Winter Dew Tour and give students a sense of what the Dew Tour is like.

Tim Jones can be reached at timothyj@student.umass.edu.