UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Jack Wilson to join UMass Lowell faculty

University of Massachusetts President Jack Wilson recently announced he’ll be taking on a new position at the University of Massachusetts Lowell as a senior faculty member once his eight-year term as president ceases at the end of June.

Wilson, 65, will serve in a new role at UMass Lowell as the University Distinguished Professor of Higher Education, Emerging Technologies and Innovation, a position that makes Wilson part of the University’s College of Management faculty.

A release detailing Wilson’s decision to take on this role stated Wilson “intends to teach, advise and mentor students at UMass Lowell and will also write about such issues as innovation and higher education.”

Additionally, Wilson himself stated in the release his plans to develop and oversee projects with students at UMass Boston and his intention to be readily available to help the next UM system president adjust to his new role.

In the release, UMass Lowell Provost Ahmed Abdelal said his school is eager to welcome the outgoing president to campus.

“We are looking forward to welcoming Jack Wilson as a member of UMass Lowell’s faculty,” said Abdelal, the former Provost at Northeastern University in Boston. “He brings unique experience to our campus not only from his years as President of the UMass system, but also from his success in research and business development.”

Wilson’s biography on the UMass website explains he has “led UMass since September 2, 2003,” and  “during his career, [he] has held positions as professor of physics, department chair, research center director, dean, vice president, provost, and a private sector entrepreneur.” Wilson had been working at UMass since 2001, when he worked as the founder and CEO of UMassOnline, the system’s acclaimed distance-education program, stated the release.

“Throughout the course of my career, I have been fortunate enough to hold teaching and leadership positions at major universities, I have been able to start a company and have served on an array of state and national boards and commissions,” said Wilson in the release.

“A common thread running through all of this work is my interest in research and discovery and in the way technological innovation touches lives and drives our economy,” continued Wilson. “This new academic position will allow me to share this passion with students and to continue to advance my view that research universities are critical engines for economic growth.”

Wilson currently is a member of the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center’s Board of Directors and serves as Chairman of the Commission on Innovation, Competitiveness and Economic Prosperity of the national Association of Public and Land-grant Universities.

Attempts to contact UMass Lowell Chancellor Martin Meehan were unsuccessful, however, the Boston Globe reported that Meehan said in a phone interview that “ we believe Jack’s extensive academic and business experience will help our university grow. He brings a wealth of experience in leadership in technology, innovation, and entrepreneurship, and all of these areas are central to our campus.’’

Wilson announced last March he would be stepping down as President of the five-campus system on June 30, 2011, and a committee to find his replacement completed its national search earlier this month. The committee named Robert L. Caret the next UMass system president.

Alyssa Creamer can be reached at acreamer@student.umass.edu.