For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MANNA soup kitchen continues to feed the local hungry in Northampton -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dash & Dine race raises funds for Amherst Survival Center -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Letter: SGA to the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, and Auxiliary Services -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Defense is the key behind UMass men’s lacrosse’s winning streak -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Swimming and diving to celebrate seniors

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

The Massachusetts swimming and diving team will host Boston College this weekend in a meet that will see 13 UMass swimmers and divers compete in the confines of Joseph Rogers Pool for the final time.

The meet represents Senior Day for UMass, and the Minutemen and Minutewomen will look to keep the momentum going after wins from both teams in last week’s meet, the Rhode Island Invitational.

Success is nothing new on the men’s side of things. Since 1996, the men’s team has been one of the most dominant among all other UMass teams. The Minutemen have won 12 Atlantic 10 Championships over that span, including the last four. UMass also currently sits at No. 12 in the mid-major top 25 rankings.

Max Butler, Dan Backler, Christopher Howard, Brian Schmidt and Trevor Ziegler highlight a star-studded senior swimming class, while John Clark and Adam Duffield are the two senior divers on the team.

Russ Yarworth, head coach of the team for 32 years, has been a part of all 12 championships since 1996, yet he praised this senior class in particular for their efforts.

“Anytime the kids make it through their senior year in my program means they’ve been really dedicated and worked hard,” Yarworth said. “They all have a special spot in my heart and in the program.”

On the women’s side, Gillian Bank, Jennifer Corriveau, Kaitie English, Meghan Nowak, Tavis Potter and Jessica Starosielec are the five senior swimmers on the team.

The Minutewomen are coached by Bob Newcomb, who has been with the team for 27 years. Newcomb recognized each senior’s contributions to the program and understood that this year’s senior class was special.

“This group is very good, they are my captains and they do a very good job with that and [they will be a] huge loss.”

Newcomb is thankful for the time spent with the seniors but wishes he had more.

“That’s maybe the worst thing about college athletics, you only get a finite amount of time with them until they have to head out and find something else to do,” Newcomb said.

Individual accomplishments have not been hard to come by for Newcomb’s senior class. Starosielec holds school records in the 100 breast stroke and 200 and 400 medley relays while Nowak and Potter are second and fifth in school history for the 100 breast. Potter also holds the school record in the 800 medley relay.

Newcomb also praised sprinters Corriveau and Bank for their performance this season. He also spoke of English’s contributions, despite being hampered with injuries throughout her career.

Although Senior Day is very important to everyone in the program, coming away with a win is paramount for the UMass swimming and diving teams. The 16-event meet will take place at 4:00 p.m. on Friday. The meet can go a long way in preparing both teams for the most important tournament on their schedule, the A-10 Tournament.

Regarding the meet, senior Max Butler expressed the team’s overall goal best:

“As a team we would love to just blow BC out of the water.”Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Swimming and diving to celebrate seniors”
  1. Steve Alexander says:

Great job with this article. Keep up the good work!!!
    Dad