Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Swimming and diving to celebrate seniors

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

The Massachusetts swimming and diving team will host Boston College this weekend in a meet that will see 13 UMass swimmers and divers compete in the confines of Joseph Rogers Pool for the final time.

The meet represents Senior Day for UMass, and the Minutemen and Minutewomen will look to keep the momentum going after wins from both teams in last week’s meet, the Rhode Island Invitational.

Success is nothing new on the men’s side of things. Since 1996, the men’s team has been one of the most dominant among all other UMass teams. The Minutemen have won 12 Atlantic 10 Championships over that span, including the last four. UMass also currently sits at No. 12 in the mid-major top 25 rankings.

Max Butler, Dan Backler, Christopher Howard, Brian Schmidt and Trevor Ziegler highlight a star-studded senior swimming class, while John Clark and Adam Duffield are the two senior divers on the team.

Russ Yarworth, head coach of the team for 32 years, has been a part of all 12 championships since 1996, yet he praised this senior class in particular for their efforts.

“Anytime the kids make it through their senior year in my program means they’ve been really dedicated and worked hard,” Yarworth said. “They all have a special spot in my heart and in the program.”

On the women’s side, Gillian Bank, Jennifer Corriveau, Kaitie English, Meghan Nowak, Tavis Potter and Jessica Starosielec are the five senior swimmers on the team.

The Minutewomen are coached by Bob Newcomb, who has been with the team for 27 years. Newcomb recognized each senior’s contributions to the program and understood that this year’s senior class was special.

“This group is very good, they are my captains and they do a very good job with that and [they will be a] huge loss.”

Newcomb is thankful for the time spent with the seniors but wishes he had more.

“That’s maybe the worst thing about college athletics, you only get a finite amount of time with them until they have to head out and find something else to do,” Newcomb said.

Individual accomplishments have not been hard to come by for Newcomb’s senior class. Starosielec holds school records in the 100 breast stroke and 200 and 400 medley relays while Nowak and Potter are second and fifth in school history for the 100 breast. Potter also holds the school record in the 800 medley relay.

Newcomb also praised sprinters Corriveau and Bank for their performance this season. He also spoke of English’s contributions, despite being hampered with injuries throughout her career.

Although Senior Day is very important to everyone in the program, coming away with a win is paramount for the UMass swimming and diving teams. The 16-event meet will take place at 4:00 p.m. on Friday. The meet can go a long way in preparing both teams for the most important tournament on their schedule, the A-10 Tournament.

Regarding the meet, senior Max Butler expressed the team’s overall goal best:

“As a team we would love to just blow BC out of the water.”Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Swimming and diving to celebrate seniors”
  1. Steve Alexander says:

Great job with this article. Keep up the good work!!!
    Dad