The 411 on Winter Blues

Cold? Hungry? Bored? Tired? With a lack of vitamin D it’s no wonder many suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) this time of year. It’s important to learn the signs and treatment of this disorder in order to have a happy and healthy new year.

Hannah Cohen
Hannah Cohen

SAD is a condition that comes seasonally and causes symptoms much like depression, such as loss of interest in activities once enjoyed, fatigue, hopelessness or worthlessness, and even thoughts of death or suicide. The website eMedicineHealth goes on to categorize symptoms specific to Winter SAD, which can include excess sleeping, irritability, sugar and alcohol cravings, weight gain and conflicts with others. SAD can occur in the spring and summer, but is most common in late fall and winter, according to the website.

Winter Seasonal Affective Disorder, often shortened to “winter depression,” is believed to be caused by hormonal changes in the brain, according to Web MD. The site goes on to suggest a second reason: minimal sunlight exposure causes a lack of production of seratonin in the brain. Seratonin is somewhat of a natural soother, and without it depression seems like an easy development. Web MD explains the reason your body may crave carbohydrates during this time is because carbs are essential in regulating seratonin, so your body tries to obtain that calming effect elsewhere.

With heavy barometric pressure, frigid temperatures and cramped living quarters, it’s no wonder college students may be feeling depressed. Although seeing a doctor about these symptoms is always the first step, several natural ways to treat winter depression may be useful, too.

Go outside to soak up some vitamin D. It may not be enough to achieve a golden glow, but a little natural sunlight each day should help rejuvenate the body. Not enthused by Southwest’s urban environment and chilling wind tunnels? Taking a vitamin D supplement each day may be the easiest way to trick your body.

Hitting the gym will release some feel-good endorphins. Sure, it was easy to skip your workouts when the packed sweatbox in the basement of Boyden Gym was all the University of Massachusetts had to offer students, but now, with the mammoth new Recreation Center in the heart of campus with endless cardio machines, nonstop pickup basketball games, and even ZUMBA classes, how can a person opt out? Bring a buddy and sweat out those liquor toxins.

It is also important to steer clear of sugary foods and excess carbohydrates. Not only will these foods literally weigh a person down, they’ll also lead you to crash. Since white flour turns to sugar and is stored as fat, stick to wheat breads and whole grains for your carb cravings.

In the World of Psychology’s “12 Winter Depression Busters,” author Therese J. Borchard warns, “the addiction to sugar and white-flour products is very real and physiological, affecting the same biochemical systems in your body as other drugs like heroin.”

In place of potentially dangerous sugary treats, opt for a small portion of soft serve ice cream or one cup of hot chocolate. The soft serve ice cream at UMass’ Dining Commons is under 200 calories per serving and is low in fat. Hot chocolate, on the other hand, is a great way to indulge while staying warm.

If you think you might suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder or depression, it’s important to get help immediately. Contact your doctor, confide in a friend, or seek out a therapist. Depression can cause suicidal thoughts or urges, so if you or someone you know displays potential signs, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-SUICIDE.

Kate Evans can be reached at [email protected].