Reflecting over three years as a sports writer -

What I’ve learned from UMass and what UMass can learn from me -

UMass track and field holds its own in Larry Ellis Invitational -

UMass tennis gets two Atlantic 10 victories over weekend -

My two years of survival -

Amherst man to row from Miami to New York City to help fund John P. Musante Health Center -

Brush fires prove problematic for Western Massachusetts communities -

UConn, Boston College up next for UMass softball -

UMass rowing strong against tough competition -

United Airlines: Our perpetual outrage isn’t why people are angry -

Senior Columns 2016-2017 -

Poets Andrea Gibson and Megan Falley spark deeper dialogue in their performances at Iron Horse Music Hall -

Dissecting Science: Episode Three -

Softball sweeps Saint Joseph’s to take over first place in the Atlantic 10 -

Report: UMass men’s basketball lands Maryland transfer Jaylen Brantley -

UMass baseball takes two out of three in weekend series with La Salle -

UMass men’s lacrosse can’t keep pace with Hofstra in road loss -

Q&A with UMass student app creator -

UMass women’s lacrosse squeaks past George Mason 18-17 -

Events in Turkey today echo patterns of Armenian genocide -

Younger players see increased roles

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team has a starting five that can usually score points, but even the most potent offense can stall and fortunately for the Minutewomen, they have a bench that can step up and play well when necessary.

In two out of the last three games, UMass has recorded at least three players in double figures in points. In a game against Saint Louis, four players reached double-digits and three of them were everyday starters. Senior Cerie Mosgrove has gone 10 consecutive games with at least 10 points, and guard Megan Zullo is just five 3-pointers away from the school’s all-time record in a single season.

Yet in Wednesday night’s matchup against Temple, the intensity and fire that makes the starting five so good was absent from the Mullins Center. Mosgrove was the high scorer in the game, but managed only 13 points, the same number as the other four players combined.

“[The starters] weren’t good,” UMass head coach Sharon Dawley said. “With a bad starter, you might as well go see if there’s somebody better on the bench than a bad starter.”

Instead, it was the sixth, seventh and eight players off the bench who paced the offense. Two of those players are freshmen and the other, Shakia Robinson, is a sophomore who tallied just over 100 minutes all of last season.

“It’s always good to see a young kid getting better,” Dawley said. “There have been moments where we can visually see that a kid is getting better. I see them getting better with a good offseason and a good summer.”

The highest point total off the bench came from Robinson, who has played just as much as any starter this season while filling in for injured forward Jasmine Watson for much of the year. Robinson scored 11 points and added an assist, a steal, and a block in the paint. In a game against Saint Joseph’s last week, she poured in 25 points off the bench and was the team’s leading scorer.

Freshmen Talen Watson and Kelly Robinson each played over 10 minutes in the contest, jumping at the opportunity to lead the offensive attack and coordinate the team’s play on both ends of the court. Watson netted four points and moved the ball successfully against the Owl defense and Robinson contributed five points and three assists.

“Talen was good today off the bench,” Dawley said. “Like I said in the locker room, if the starters continue to play this badly, a kid like that is going to come right in and take away minutes from them. She came off the bench and played well, and she’s going to get more minutes.”

Even freshman Sara English, who doesn’t play much unless Jasmine Watson, Mosgrove and Shakia fall apart in front of her, has come in and asserted herself. Although she had no points against Temple, Dawley praised her efforts and envisions that she will continue to help the team off the bench in the future.

“I think with freshman it’s day-to-day,” Dawley said. “Freshman could come in and play well against Temple or be deathly afraid of Temple. Sara may have been a little intimidated today, but against Saint Joe’s she was fantastic. She’ll be fine.”

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Younger players see increased roles”
  1. Sincerely Concerned Alumnus says:

I wonder if this is a reporting paper or just another dictatorship that doesn’t tackle the tough questions. We need results, I don’t know about everyone else but I grow tired of the same excuses by this coaching staff. If Zullo is the best ball handler why isn’t she beginning or ending the game with the ball to reduce turnovers. Case in point the lost to St. Josephs, the minute women had a lead with under a minute and instead of putting the ball in sure hands Coach Dawley forfeited the game by allowing not one but two guards in which she’s shown little faith have the ball in clutch time. Why is it that Mosgrove, Watson and Tushser makes endless mistakes yet remain in the game when their focus clearly need adjusting and others or pulled out at the first error. While Watson is a very good player she’s less than 80% healthy why has Dawley abandon Robinson who has proven to be a scorer which the team desperately needs in the beginning of the game not after being down by double digits. I would like to know why Dawley doesn’t put her best line up on the floor; clearly chess is not her game nor is the team in a program in the position to experiment any further. In closing, at this stage Dawley should have her combinations together which she clearly doesn’t.