Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Minutemen tie in overtime thriller

On Saturday, the Massachusetts men’s hockey team avoided what could have been a disastrous weekend at the hands of Northeastern.

After losing 3-0 to the Huskies in Boston Friday, the Minutemen returned home to a raucous crowd at the Mullins Center, eventually tying their conference rivals, 2-2.
The game was tense throughout and featured plenty of momentum shifts, penalties and a physicality level that UMass (6-13-5, 5-8-5 Hockey East) has not seen yet this year.
“[Northeastern] is as physical a team as there is in our league and they’re a team that took it away from us on Friday on that front,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said. “That’s they’re makeup, and our younger guys are learning more about it each and every weekend.”
Northeastern (8-10-7, 7-7-6 HE) quieted the home crowd just 33 seconds into the first period on senior Wade MacLeod’s team-leading twelfth goal of the season. NU’s Steve Silva started the sequence by throwing a wrist shot on goal that Paul Dainton turned aside. NU’s Tyler McNeely then gathered the loose puck behind the net and found MacLeod in the slot, who fired a shot past Dainton for the 1-0 lead.
UMass responded immediately with two goals in two minutes from Chase Langeraap and Michael Pereira. Langeraap, a senior, tied the game with his sixth goal of the season, a wrap-around effort from behind the net that just beat Husky goaltender Chris Rawlings.
The Minutemen then made it 2-1 on Pereira’s team-leading tenth goal of the season. Pereira, a freshman, positioned himself in the high slot during a UMass 3-on-1 rush that began with Colin Shea passing to Conor Sheary in transition. Sheary then led the rush and found Pereira, who unleashed a perfect shot over Rawlings’ left shoulder.
“It was a real pivotal game for us emotionally to be able to hang in there,” Cahoon said. “We would’ve liked a better result, but I felt good about the team and the effort that [the players] made.”
“Tonight was really important to not just cave in and succumb to what could’ve been a disastrous weekend,” Cahoon added.
Neither team would score for the remainder of the period, as UMass went into the first intermission holding a 2-1 lead.
Northeastern came out with a vengeance in the second period, outshooting the Minutemen, 11-0. MacLeod tied the game at two apiece three minutes into the stanza, taking advantage of a failed clearing attempt by the Minutemen. The clearing attempt hit a body on its way out of the zone and landed right in front of the faceoff circle, where MacLeod picked up the puck and sent a backhander through Dainton’s legs to tie the game. The Huskies did not let up for the remainder of the period, using physical play to control the puck and pace of the game.
UMass lost forward Danny Hobbs earlier in the game to an injury, as he joins a group of Minutemen currently listed as day-to-day.
“From a coaching perspective, it was a really interesting game because of what took place [on Friday], our lineup and the way it had to be put together, the resolve that it took within our locker room to get an honest effort from everyone and not dwell on the fact that some of us weren’t there,” said Cahoon.
The Minutemen escaped the second period without further damage, and took the 2-2 tie into the third.
The third period was evenly-played, as Northeastern held a 6-5 edge in shots. The best opportunity for UMass came with over six minutes to play, as it went on a 5-on-3 power play for 45 seconds. The Minutemen continually tried to set up shots from the point, but Rawlings denied the efforts, carrying the Huskies into the five minute overtime period.
“We brought it tonight and we certainly had as many opportunities as they did to put it away,” Cahoon said. “Our penalty kill was fabulous, and I thought we had some pretty good looks on the power play… finishing is another story altogether.”
The overtime period belonged to UMass, which outshot Northeastern, 8-2. With time dwindling down, Dainton made a clutch save to preserve the tie. Dainton finished with 30 saves to Rawlings’ 39.
The Minutemen will try to build on their effort for the remaining 10 games, nine of which come against ranked opponents.
“This team’s in for a slugfest,” Cahoon said. “Anything we can get along the way is going to help us grow and maybe give us a mentality and a base to grow from and to build off of to succeed.”
Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.