Track stars qualify for New England Championships

UMass Media Relations

The Massachusetts men’s track and field team racked up 69 points and a third-place finish in Friday’s Reebok Boston Indoor Games.

The Minutemen competed against 16 others schools, tying with Central Connecticut for third and finishing only behind host Northeastern (118.50 points) and Brown (70).

Quinn Ryder took first in the 55-meter dash, clocking in a time of 6.52 seconds. With that showcase, the freshman qualified for the New England Championships.

“I think it was a reward for all the hard work he’s put in over the fall and the first…weeks of the season,” said UMass coach Ken O’Brien. He also added that it was a “true indication of his ability.”

The Maroon and White are hitting its stride, following their recent ninth-place performance at the Great Dane Invitational (24 teams) in Boston and third-place showing at the Sparks Sorlien Invitational (17 teams). O’Brien contributed his team’s current surge to solid fall training, returning veterans and contributing freshman.

Paul Grafov also finished first in the 5,000 meters with a time of 1:04.59, while Sean Busch took first in the pole vault after jumping 15 feet. Grafov’s efforts earned him a bid to the NEC, while Busch qualified for the IC4A Championships.

Tyler Cotto did not disappoint, turning in another solid performance in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 7.52, while teammate Zachary Koncki crossed the finish line in third place in 7.85.

“It’s a combination of being more experienced now, a very good competitor and…a very experienced success rate that makes his performances much more consistent,” O’Brien said of Cotto.

The Minutemen also received solid performances from seniors Kevin Spieler and Scott VanderMolen in the weight throw and 1,000-meters, respectively. Spieler placed third, tossing the 35 lb. weight a personal record distance of 54-02.75. VanderMolen, meanwhile, placed third as well, crossing the finish line in 2:27.65 and qualifying for both the NEC and IC4A Championships.

UMass’ Daniel Barry shined in the mile, qualifying for NEC after finishing third with a time of 4:14.54. Also a member of the cross country team, the senior missed the IC4A cut by only 0.36 seconds.

The Minutemen look to continue their hot streak into this weekend’s Giegengack Invitational in New Haven, Conn.

The Minutewomen put together a strong outing at Friday’s Reebok Boston Indoor Games, taking sixth place after accumulating 58.5 points on the day.

The final standings crowned Northeastern at the top with 97 points, followed by Brown (93) and Boston College (72). The Minutewomen finished in front of eleven teams, including Vermont, Yale and Williams College.

“Every week our…athletes push themselves to new levels,” UMass coach Julie LaFreniere said, who was very excited about her team’s performance. “Their hard work and sacrifices are paying off.”

The Minutewomen dominated the shot put as Nalis Mbianda captured first place after throwing 44-06.00, while teammate Rachelle Bourque showcased her ability by finishing third with a throw of 43-05.25. Both earned bids to the NEC with their efforts, while Mbianda also qualified for the ECAC Championships.

LaFreniere gave much of the credit to assistant coach Darcy Wilson, who spends a great deal of time developing her throwers.

“You will see much more out of coach Wilson and her throwers,” Mbianda said.

The Maroon and White distance medley team did well once again, crossing the finish line in second place in 12:04.70. Courtney Baldwin, Michelle Jenssen, Gina Perno and Karen Roa achieved their pre-race goal of qualifying for the ECAC.

“They…compete with pride and represent UMass well,” LaFreniere said. She later went on to add that the four are “a great inspiration to their teammates and the coaching staff.”

Perno also chipped in with a stellar run in the 1,000-meters, setting a personal record with a time of 2:53.28 and a third-place finish.

Erika Unger was the final UMass competitor to qualify for the NEC after crossing the finish line 10th in the 500-meter dash in 1:19.45.

Up next for the Minutewomen is the Giegengack Invitational. LaFreniere feels this meet will serve as a “practice run” for the Atlantic 10 championships on Feb. 18.

This weekend’s meet is a two-day event, which is similar to the A-10 championships. The meet will be held at Yale in New Haven, Conn.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected].