UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Chaz Williams to compete in Portsmouth Invitational Tournament -

Putting the ‘new’ back into ‘news’ -

Kurt Cobain, remembered 20 years later -

Feist plays engaging, soulful show at the Calvin Theater -

UMass poll shows Coakley emerging as a frontrunner in upcoming election -

Rain washes out baseball, softball -

General Education courses should not be required -

Campus Perspectives: One year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombings -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Boston Marathon: One year later -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bostonian spirit prevails -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Minutewomen continue to show offensive improvement -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Overalls and whitewashed outfits trend in spring 2014 -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

UMass looks to continue to build confidence against non-conference opponents -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

UMass rowing overcomes food poisoning and earns gold at Knecht Cup -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lessons from the Marathon bombings -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Mass Attack faces two top-ranked teams

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

The Massachusetts hockey team will go on the road this weekend to face No. 1 Boston College and No. 12 Merrimack as it begins its most rigorous stretch of the closing season.

It will be the first meetings of the year with both teams for the Minutemen, who are coming off a gritty 2-2 tie versus Northeastern on Saturday night.

“[Saturday] was a test for us,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said after some pivotal players had to watch from the bench with injuries. “Our team was fighting for survival. That was as good an effort from a group of players to just say ‘Hey, it doesn’t make any difference. We’re going to find a way to compete and put pressure on the other team.’”

UMass posted a season-high 41 shots in the tie against the Huskies, including a season-high 20 first period shots. The high number of shots seems to be a good omen for the Minutemen this season, who average 4.8 goals per game in wins and 1.7 goals in losses.

BC is tied for first place in the conference with New Hampshire while Merrimack is positioned in fourth. UMass comes into the weekend in seventh place.

The Eagles come into Friday’s game with a three-game winning streak. BC is also the owner of a 10-1 record since Nov. 28th with its sole loss coming at Maine, 4-1, on Jan. 16th.

“This is our league and that’s just the way it is,” Cahoon said. “It seems like every year we face No. 1. It’s an opportunity, but we’ve expected this to happen. We get the chance to make the most of it. We’re as prepared as we can be right now and we’re going to have to bring a high-level performance to get it done, there’s no doubt about that.

“When you play a team that’s this skilled and talented as BC is, nothing short of that will allow you to succeed,” Cahoon continued.

Merrimack has also been on a tear for the latter part of the season as it has jumped into the upper echelon of the Hockey East standings. After beginning the season with a 3-2-4 record, the Warriors have gone 13-3 since. However, two of those losses came at home, where Merrimack has been a typically strong 8-2-1.

The Warriors feature sophomore forward Stephane Da Costa, who is tied for third in Hockey East in power play points.

Senior Chase Langeraap has carried his load and more for the Mass Attack recently, picking up six goals and three assists in the last nine games.

Assistant captain Danny Hobbs has also played well, tallying six goals and nine assists in the last 12 games played before suffering an injury against the Huskies. He’s produced three multi-point games in the last four outings.

However, Friday’s prominent matchup will feature two of the best goalies in the conference as UMass captain Paul Dainton tries to best BC goalie John Muse, two goalies whose careers have told two different stories.

“[Their] experiences have been a little bit different in that Muse has had one of the top teams in the country in front of him each and every year,” Cahoon said. “[Dainton’s] gone through a whole different sequence of having teams that have played up at a real high level in the national standings, and teams that have disappeared from the national standings. [He’s gone] from having experienced people playing in front of him to a lot of inexperienced people in front of him.

“I can’t believe that John Muse is any better a leader or more important to his team than Paul Dainton is to ours,” Cahoon continued. “You’re talking about two players who are central to their team’s success.”

For UMass to have success on the road this weekend, it will have to draw from its latest performance.

“That was will over skill,” Cahoon said. “Will over skill is an important feature for any team. We’ve got a pretty good skill level, but we have got unbelievable will. That usually results in some pretty good play.”

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.