The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Lack of offense plagues UMass baseball in game two of doubleheader with Fordham -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Davidson 12-5 on Senior Day -

Two arrested after report of aggravated robbery in Washington Hall last night -

Former UMass wide receiver Tajae Sharpe selected in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft -

The time has come for action in Egypt

WORLD NEWS EGYPT 28 MCT

Courtesy of MCT

The people of Egypt will not cease protests until President Mubarak steps down from power. After nearly thirty years of corruption the time has come for action. President Mubarak’s regime has been riddled with unlawful arrests, media censorship, and unfair elections. The US has made numerous attempts to put pressure on the President to correct some of the faults in the regime. The President, unfortunately, has done little to change, leading up to the start of this past week’s protests.
    The Egyptian protests have been huge. A goal of one million protesters was set and surpassed on Tuesday, February 1st. Social media outlets such as Twitter and Facebook have been used as rallying tools to get people to come together and spread the word about protesting. Opposition leaders have started tweeting messages to their followers. As a result, Mubarak has shut down all internet access within the country, something people in the United States could never dream of.
    Many protesters have rallied around opposition leader, Mohamed ElBaradei. He is a former Nobel Peace Prize winner and the former director of the International Atomic Energy Agency. ElBaradei has had a complicated relationship with the United States. At one point, the Bush Administration tried to remove him from his position as the director of the agency. The US really has no idea what to expect if ElBaradei were to become a more prominent leader. As it stands under Mubarak, Egypt has pledged their allegiance to the US. Egypt remains an essential ally for any hope of a stable Middle East, an already daunting task. As a result of the massive protests, Mubarack so far has declared he would not seek reelection- but only time will tell if he will actually step down from an office he has already held on to for thirty years.