Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Panelists talk about their experiences with incarceration in the Feinberg Lecture Series -

Suzanne Fenton discusses the effects of early life chemical exposure -

Christmas tree farmers discuss effects of New England drought on their harvest -

UMass men’s basketball’s frontcourt looks to build on solid start to season -

The time has come for action in Egypt

WORLD NEWS EGYPT 28 MCT

Courtesy of MCT

The people of Egypt will not cease protests until President Mubarak steps down from power. After nearly thirty years of corruption the time has come for action. President Mubarak’s regime has been riddled with unlawful arrests, media censorship, and unfair elections. The US has made numerous attempts to put pressure on the President to correct some of the faults in the regime. The President, unfortunately, has done little to change, leading up to the start of this past week’s protests.
    The Egyptian protests have been huge. A goal of one million protesters was set and surpassed on Tuesday, February 1st. Social media outlets such as Twitter and Facebook have been used as rallying tools to get people to come together and spread the word about protesting. Opposition leaders have started tweeting messages to their followers. As a result, Mubarak has shut down all internet access within the country, something people in the United States could never dream of.
    Many protesters have rallied around opposition leader, Mohamed ElBaradei. He is a former Nobel Peace Prize winner and the former director of the International Atomic Energy Agency. ElBaradei has had a complicated relationship with the United States. At one point, the Bush Administration tried to remove him from his position as the director of the agency. The US really has no idea what to expect if ElBaradei were to become a more prominent leader. As it stands under Mubarak, Egypt has pledged their allegiance to the US. Egypt remains an essential ally for any hope of a stable Middle East, an already daunting task. As a result of the massive protests, Mubarack so far has declared he would not seek reelection- but only time will tell if he will actually step down from an office he has already held on to for thirty years.