Davenport nets game-winner to lead Bonnies past Duquesne

A 3-pointer sunk by guard Michael Davenport with 1.6 seconds remaining in regulation catapulted the St. Bonaventure men’s basketball team past Duquesne, 64-62, on Saturday.

The loss for the Dukes (16-6, 8-1 Atlantic 10) ends their undefeated conference mark as well as stopping their winning streak at 11, the longest since their 1970-71 squad reeled off 15 straight victories.

Davenport led the Bonnies (12-10, 4-5 A-10) with 16 points, including going 4-for-7 from 3-point distance. Andrew Nicholson and Matthew Wright also chipped in 15 points each in the victory.

With 10.9 seconds left and coming out of a timeout, Damian Saunders found B.J. Monteiro for the go-ahead layup that put DU up 62-61.

After T.J. McConnell stole the ensuing inbounds pass and stepped out-of-bounds, SBU was given a last chance to come up victorious.

With time winding down, Demitrius Conger drove the length of the court and found Davenport who drained the game-winner and sent the Bonnies student section to wildly rush the court.

Monteiro led the Dukes and all scorers with 17 points in the loss.

The Bonnies will look to build off their thrilling victory this Saturday when they host La Salle, while DU welcomes Xavier on Sunday in a battle for first place in the conference.

Xavier stays dominant

Xavier extended its league-record A-10 home winning streak to 37 games as it defeated Saint Louis, 76-68, before a sold out crowd on Saturday.

Tu Holloway paced the scoring for the Musketeers (16-6, 8-1 A-10) with 24 points, while Mark Lyons added 15 points and seven assists in the win.

Second-chance opportunities were the difference as XU outrebounded the Billikens (8-14, 3-6 A-10) 11-1 on the offensive glass and came away with a 14-0 advantage in second-chance points.

The Musketeers led 31-24 at halftime, but SLU battled back and forced several lead changes early in the second frame.

XU, however, would never relinquish the lead after a Lyons basket put the home team up 53-52 with just under 13 minutes remaining in the contest.

The victory improves the Musketeers’ home record at the Cintas Center, now in its 11th season, to 146-18, including 75-10 against A-10 competition.

XU’s last conference home loss came on Feb. 26, 2006 when it was defeated by Saint Joseph’s, 69-58, in the season finale.

The Musketeers will take a three-game road trip beginning this week when they travel to play Georgia and the Dukes.

49ers fall short

Fueled by Tony Taylor’s game-high 25 points, George Washington survived a late second-half charge from Charlotte and improved its standing into a four-way tie for fifth place in the conference, winning 73-67 on Saturday.

After the teams were knotted up at 39-39 five minutes into the second half, the Colonials (12-11, 5-4 A-10) pulled away and increased its lead to 62-47 with two minutes, 51 seconds remaining in the game.

It was all but over, however, as 49ers guard Derrio Green went on a furious scoring spree, pouring in 15 of his 22 points in the last 2:01 of the game to pull UC within five at 72-67 with 19 seconds left.

It would be too little too late, though, as free-throws and little time remaining would keep the 49ers (10-13, 2-7 A-10) from completing their comeback attempt.
An’Juan Wilderness produced a double-double, scoring 14 points and corralling 10 rebounds in the losing effort.

Next up for the 49ers is a trip to Rhode Island this Saturday, while GW hosts Richmond on Wednesday before traveling to Amherst to take on Massachusetts on Sunday afternoon.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected].