UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Minutemen tune-up with final scrimmage

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

It was cold, wet and misting, but Massachusetts men’s lacrosse coach Greg Cannella had his team out on the field bright and early Saturday morning for a scrimmage against Siena.

No. 15 UMass played up to its caliber in the exhibition against the Saints, controlling the ball with timely passes and playing a lot of defensemen up near the mid-to-offensive zone.

The Minutemen took control from the start, with early goals by seniors Ryan Liebel and Ryan Hantverk. Liebel’s goal came in the middle of the zone, where UMass weaved a bunch of attackers near the top. Liebel eventually came right down the middle, seeing a mismatch with a lack of defenders in numbers and plenty space to run into.

In 2010, the Longmeadow, Mass. native started the first 11 games on attack, scoring 14 goals. Overall, the then-junior contributed 19 points on the season, helping UMass advance to the Colonial Athletic Association playoffs in its first year in the conference.

Late in the second quarter, with UMass pushing the ball deep into the offensive zone, attacker Art Kell received a pass, found an opening and room to run with the ball on the left. He quickly charged in, fired a shot and found the back of the net.

Last season, the junior notched 33 points for UMass, scoring 21 goals in only eight games. As the team’s third-leading returning goal scorer from last season, Kell looks to contribute even more on the offensive end in 2011.

In the wet conditions, the Minutemen were able to control the ball and move it up and down the field at their own pace, forcing the Saints back deep in their zone for much of the match. The middle of the field was virtually left untouched, as both teams worked the sidelines, generating passes towards the middle, once in their respective offensive areas.

The defense was solid from start to finish, a possible staple for this year’s squad. Seniors Travis Tripuka and Mael Walkowiak controlled the area for UMass, pressing Siena backward when on attack. Forced to play back, the Saints mostly took deep shots and were hardly allowed inward towards the middle.

Senior Dan Lawson took four shots on net, with one coming from the right of the net as he slipped past a screen of UMass defenders. He received a pass and put a shot on goal, only to be denied by goaltender Tim McCormack.

McCormack, a junior who started all 14 games last season for the Minutemen and held a .523 saves percentage, looks to build upon what he did last season.

With two scrimmages now in the books, the Minutemen look ahead to this Saturday as they will open their regular season against No. 12 Army at Garber Field.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutemen tune-up with final scrimmage”
  1. Sam The Mintueman says:

This is probably the worst article. I mean Liebel didnt even play in the game. So this whole thing makes complete sense.