UMass men’s soccer falls 2-0 vs. Colgate -

UMass men’s soccer falls to No. 6 Syracuse in season opener -

UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Remember when Eminem was cool?

Courtesy eminemrelapse.net

Courtesy eminemrelapse.net

One week in March my sixth grade class took a field trip to the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium. Two important things happened on this trip. First, my classmate Eddy G. fell head-first into the stingray pond and thus head-first into the nebula of middle school social exile into which he would descend deeper and deeper with each passing year. Second, on the bus back from Cabrillo Leon Safra – the coolest kid in sixth grade if not the entire Harkham Hillel Hebrew Academy – introduced me to Eminem.

A few months before Eddy fell into the pond, I’d overheard my parents discussing Eminem one night in the kitchen, both of them wondering how a fellow musician and friend of my father’s who had recently played bass on my father’s album and was now working with Dr. Dre co-producing Eminem’s records, justified being an accomplice in the production of music so morally objectionable.

That was all I knew of Eminem the afternoon when Leon Safra let me listen to a copy of the Marshal Mathers LP on his Sony Discman (a move which bumped me up a good two notches on the ladder of middle school coolness because it was Leon Safra’s Discman). I’d never actually heard Eminem’s music before. I pressed play on the Discman and listened to the album’s introductory track. Before even a single musical note was played, a bureaucratic sounding voice opened with, “This is another public service announcement brought to you in part by Slim Shady.” After the intro began the track “Kill You” with Eminem breaking out into song over a twisted chord progression and a bass heavy beat that would soon come to define an entire era of rap music, “When I was just a baby boy my mother used to tell me these crazy things / She used to tell me my daddy was an evil man / She used to tell me he hated me.” I come from a very loving and functional family, yet for a reasons inexplicable insofar as I can only describe them as wholly visceral, I related to that song – to that entire album – on a very deep level. Eminem was speaking to me.

A year later, I spent the summer working as a serf for Paul Young’s Sports Camp for Boys. I got paid $50 for an entire month of lugging ice around and chasing after misbehaving Jews ages 6-11. Once in a while Paul would bless me with park bathroom duty wherein I was able to sit outside the public restrooms and listen to the then just released “Eminem Show,” every so often making sure no young Jews had fallen pray to a hoodlum or worse, soiled themselves (the Eddy G.’s of the camp were soiling themselves daily.) One morning before camp my mother stumbled upon the pirated copy of “The Eminem Show” in my backpack. I have no doubt that what followed was my parents discussing the appropriate parental course of action in a series of late night conversations. On one hand, they weren’t enamored with the idea of their son (a few months shy of his bar mitzvah, mind you) listening to lyrics so utterly profane. But on the other hand perhaps coming from a family so entrenched in rock music (a genre once labeled as “devil’s music” by the morality police) it would seem hypocritical, if not entirely counterproductive, to forbid him Eminem.

My parents made their decision. A few days later on the drive to camp my father suggested we listen to Eminem together in the car. My father and I would continue listening to whatever it was that was in my Discman, and later my iPod. On the day I got my license, my father said he was going to miss listening to music with me in the car. That first time driving myself to school I realized we both would.

In high school I grew out of Eminem. I’d moved onto indie rock, sixties rock, backpacker rap, the “Garden State” soundtrack; all genres I’d felt made girls more inclined to make out with me in the back of my Corolla (oh, high school). Still, last year when Eminem released his sixth studio album “Recovery” I went out and bought a copy.

The album is good. Eminem is a master of language and the spoken word, and the production, while in no way groundbreaking, is utterly appealing. Yet, listening to the album I realized something was missing. That day on the ride back from Cabrillo, sitting with Leon Safra in the back of the bus, basking in his coolness, Eminem sounded so dangerous, his anger; so thrilling and wholly relatable. And for whatever reason, even a young Jewish boy who came from a nurturing family and attended a school that took him on yearly aquarium trips could relate to that anger. For a while I wondered if perhaps the violent rage of “gangsta rap” spoke specifically to the white Jewish male who’d spent years believing nothing could be worse than living with the threat of pogroms and bayoneted babies, only to have this belief crushed, along with every other belief. But then of course, Eminem was the top-selling artist of the last decade. His music, his anger, spoke to millions of people, of all races, religions, origins. All these people were able to make Eminem’s rage their own.

Eminem is a strong contender to win “Album of the Year” at the 53rd Grammy Awards on Feb. 13. If Eminem does win in this category, it will mark the point in time when the mainstream will have finally accepted him. All that rage and raw fury I felt and made my own that afternoon on the bus will become a relic of a specific moment in the history of music, like the lost glamour of jazz or the dangerous allure of early rock. His status as the twisted voice of America’s warped shoulder angel, the circus mirror image of pop-stardom and crazed post-9/11 paranoia, will be a thing of the past. And it is with that in mind that I hope he loses. In fact, I might even root for Lady Gaga.

Isaac Himmelman is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at ihimmelm@student.umass.edu.

13 Responses to “Remember when Eminem was cool?”
  1. scott says:

Great article, I can relate to this so much with what you said about being that young kid listening to something so violent and wrong and loving it, obsessing over it. However, unlike you, I never really outgrew him. I stuck with him through high school, through his hiatus, even into college when Relapse and Recovery came out. I am still awestruck by this artist who continually evolves to fit into what the industry wants or requires. I read over that final paragraph a few times, and it suddenly struck me. He may lose that status as the twisted voice of America’s warped shoulder angel… but he will always be one of the most respected artists of all time because of his ability to keep that core of fans, millions of them. Great article, I applaud you!!!

2. Patrick says:

I never grew out of Eminem, myself. I stuck with him through it all – a ravenous fan to the core. However, I agree. Eminem’s sadistic, twisted charm is why I still can listen to his old albums while “Recovery” already feels played out. He’s a great artist, and still a profound wordsmith, however he lacks something. I’ve come to believe that is his ability to paint a picture so pefectly, while at the same time about topics totally unique. These days, while still amazing, he is rapping in cliches and becoming the popstar he always raged against.

3. Cal (Ireland) says:

I applaud you too sir, I’m an avid eminem fan but i completely understand your message here.
    Really great article my friend

4. Monk says:

i agree with u lets hope he loses and makes more stuff like MMLP…eminems new music is different and i dont feel it and the point of rap is to feel it…i hope he doesnt win…

5. Tee says:

part of me agrees with you.. however i also would like him to finally win a Grammy for album of the year to make up for the times when he didnt but deserved to…plus he’s 38 if he doesnt now he never will

6. Kimujnr says:

The point of this article is to root for an artist to lose a most prestigious music award so as to remain “cool” to you? Its almost 13 years into his mainstream career and people still expect an artist to be the same. If Eminem held onto the same material he brought us in the early aughts today he’d be a relic. Look at the likes of 50 Cent, Ice Cube or pretty much all Gangsta rappers. You need to evolve in this business to stay relevant. In my opinion Eminem earning a grammy for best album now would be great, he paid his dues in the underground, became the most vilified character in America, succumbed to near career suicide with drugs, came back painting a different picture of success and overcoming obstacles.

And seriously who is he gonna offend today with MMLP type material when people have gotten pretty numbed to that stuff? Relapse was just as rough and uncut and the only person who complained was Bill O’Reilly coz he made fun of Sarah Palin. Get real folks

7. Ryu says:

Yo, great article, bro. I understand the feeling about Recovery album. However, the way I see it, true artists (and I emphasize “true”)create based on their lives and don´t stick to what is trendy or whatever they think would sell. Eminem´s life has changed a lot and I think that if by this time he had still been rapping over same topics over and over again, then we would have hated him for sure. It would be good if he wins because it would be a reward for his efforts not only to get back on music, but also to get back to life. And I still listen to old albums, yeah, I feel nostalgic about old Eminem´s albums too.

8. Weng Yew says:

Eminem, you should read this article

9. Floyd says:

Sigh…he’s 38 not 26 now! Do you still make out in the back of your corolla?

10. Don says:

Jay-Z’s better.

11. Flower says:

great article!! still love eminem though.

12. Tyson says:

awesome.

13. Martin (love you Em :3) says:

Eminem GOD OF RAP. I LOVE YOU MY FRIEND. HOPE YOU READ THIS